Any Reason To Keep My Lantern Style Tp Holder?

last lathe I bought came with the lantern mounted in the compound and the tool holder installed upside down. I took it off the compound, but left the toolholder in the lantern. Whenever I see it I wonder what bizarre operation the p o was doing. Something that likely he couldn't with a qctp.

Or maybe it was a joke?

last lathe I bought came with the lantern mounted in the compound and the tool holder installed upside down. I took it off the compound, but left the toolholder in the lantern. Whenever I see it I wonder what bizarre operation the p o was doing. Something that likely he couldn't with a qctp.

Or maybe it was a joke?

lol,
When i bought my Shenwai 12x36 lathe, the PO had ground some HSS blanks into some pretty strange shapes- not in a good way.:eek:
it was obvious he didn't know the first thing about sharpening tool bits

As someone who just upgraded from an Atlas 12x36 to a Clausing 1500 I would definitely keep at least one lantern-style toolholder for when you sell lathe #1, and store it somewhere you can find it.

I changed out the Atlas's lantern-style for an Aloris AXA long ago and misplaced the original toolholder sometime in the intervening years. I kept the Aloris to use on the new lathe but lacking the lantern-style toolpost on the lathe I sold cost me more in resale value than I would have made if I sold it.

Stu

lol,
When i bought my Shenwai 12x36 lathe, the PO had ground some HSS blanks into some pretty strange shapes- not in a good way.:eek:
it was obvious he didn't know the first thing about sharpening tool bits
Hi I'm a new member so I'm not familiar with everyone yet. I have a small shop with just a SB 9, drill press, grinders, and hand tools. I moved three years ago, retired a year and half ago, and finally got my lathe up and running about two months ago.
I worked as a machinist when I was younger and like to go to garage and estate sales where I pick up tools whenever I can. I'm always surprised at how many drill bits and lathe bits I pickup that are sharpened in bizarre ways.

Put in a draw for day you need a narrow tool post for limited space
I will have to use the lantern tool post ever few years ever one time making 100 parts

Dave

Never, never get rid of that lantern tool post. Scroll down a way in the following thread to see how the lantern can be mounted more rigidly on the compound than any QCTP. Note that the normal Armstrong tool holder is not used:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...-holding-cutting-tools-on-small-lathes.32266/

Using the lantern to turn a radius is shown in the post below. You can't turn radii smaller than about 3 inches using this method with a QCTP - the lantern can go down to zero radius:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/contouring-with-manual-machine-tools.34305/#post-289958

As noted by others, using the various tool holders in the lantern tool post allows "sneaking" the cutting tool into obscure places. Rather than getting rid of that lantern tool post, I'd be watching eBay to accumulate a full set of tool holders for it (one of these days I'm going to need that LH turning tool that I'm missing :(
P1040982.JPG

Last edited:
Another reason to keep the lantern post; there are times when using a follower rest that a QC or other offset block type holder will position the cutting tool too far left to allow the follower to do its job. The lantern can always be positioned to work correctly with the follower rest.

Two things come to mind at which the lantern style tool post is either better or will work whereas the QCTP will not.

Boring bar holder. If you have the boring bar holder add-on for the lantern, it will be stiffer than a boring bar holder on a QC.

One specialty tool that you can buy is a ball and radius turner. The one that I have and two others that I have seen all have Armstrong style mounting shanks. While you can certainly make a QC tool holder deep enough for the Armstrong, to use it with an AXA (which I assume is what you have) you must move the QCTP over flush with the left edge of the compound. Which isn't where you normally want it. But the lantern holder can sit in the center.

I upgraded to a QCTP and never looked back. It was such a dramatic improvement, I could hardly believe it. Sold all my lantern style tools and holders on eBay, and that cash paid for half the cost of my new QCTP.

GG

Back