Any Reason To Keep My Lantern Style Tp Holder?

Pinresto

Active User
Registered
When I bought my SB9 it came with a QCTP and lots of holders. I've never used my lantern tool post. I was thinking about putting it on ebay. Is there any reason I should keep it? Does it do anything better than the qctp?

I recall seeing a post here somewhere that made use of the lantern style to make radii. It's the old school radius attachment.

I have seen some comments that the older tool post are more ridged than the QCTP and can be better at difficult parting operations where more rigidly is an advantage

That’s a very good question to ask. I can recall the lantern, the 4 way indexing thing and then came along the QCTP. I have all three. But only use the QCTP and can’t recall ever needing anything else. But then, I suppose that odd ball set-up could come alone and so I keep the other stuff. Now, if only I could find the things! I guess one reason would be if you decide to sell the lathe. You could re-install the lantern and keep the QCTP…Good Luck, Dave.

When I bought my SB9 it came with a QCTP and lots of holders. I've never used my lantern tool post. I was thinking about putting it on ebay. Is there any reason I should keep it? Does it do anything better than the qctp?
There are potentially tight turning requirements where the lack of bulk of the lantern tool post would be a benefit. I would keep it. If you sell it, you may run into one of those situations where you would pay ten times your sales price.

I'm not sure I understand, you are thinking about selling tools? While I mull that thought over, you and the lathe will part ways some day. The next fellow will like every original piece that is still with it. So + 1 on keep it for future sale of the lathe.

Fair enough. I have three lantern tool posts and 3 sets of tool holders. I'll keep the original set and sell the rest on ebay. I'm moving overseas next month and trying to lighten the load of anything that I'll never use. Funny thing is I'm also buying all the tools I might want. I've bought far more than I've sold. It's a good way to convince the wife I need to buy everything on my extensive wish list. Tools cost more money where I'm going. I'm actually saving money by buying everything on my wish list. Just think of all the shipping costs I'm saving:)

i rarely sell tools, and i have at least 2 of everything.
hell, i've given more tools out to people who can use them, than i have sold.
i usually get tools/tooling/machines at a discount, so selling them usually is not a consideration.
i horde

I do like excuses at least strong enough to get by the boss:) I hope your cool old iron makes it back to the states, maybe with some old European iron smuggled along to keep it company.

Back