Any Bolts, nuts and washers storage ideas?

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
In the past several months i've come to a new problem, again with storage, in the past i've bought hardware on need, but its much more expensive so now i've been buying in bulk and have accumulated dozens of KG of hardware and no were to store them, try using food cans but there round shape makes them impractical, can you share your storage solution ?

I don’t keep a lot but I’m a bit of a horder and any second hand bold/nut/washer from something that is about to be juncked has to be saved for possible future use.
Plastic Drawer are my goto storage solution
F696E3E1-B354-4C6D-8D56-132D88A19CD2.jpeg

I know about the akro bins and Plastic Drawer but they are quite expensive here, i was thinking more DIY solutions, the biggest challenge i foresee is all the difference in size of the bolts i have.

Unless by bulk you mean several hundred, I prefer the large clear configurable tackle box size containers. They are big enough to have a lot of space yet small enough that you can carry them around easily when full.

clear-plano-small-parts-organizers-532430-64_1000.jpg

I use the round cans. Round cans use 78% of the available space and are cheap. I have some Acro Mills type stackable storage bins. One style just rests atop another. The other style snaps together. I don't use them much because the parts that I need always semm to be in the bottom bin and unstacking the bins or reaching in through the small opening to get access to the parts is a pain.

The pull out storage bins work better but the cost is fairly high for a reasonable amount of storage capacity.

One system that I have seen uses capped jars with the caps fastened to an overhead panel. The contents are visible and to access, you unscrew the jar.

In final analysis, the wasted space within each container will far exceed the waste because of using round containers.

I still have a bunch of the little to big jars with the lids nailed to the under side of my wood shelves, But also have started using
Amazon also still have a big metal can that I put loose stuff in then have to sort it every once and a while.

Well, first you need a high density storage system, like this one:
SAM_1766.JPG
Then you need an efficient sorting system, like this one:
SAM_1767.JPG
Then you need thick skin to ignore anyone who does not think the method is classy enough. It was good enough for Dad, and it is good enough for me. I can find what I am looking for reasonably quickly. It has worked for me going on 50 years now, and is not likely to get changed anytime soon.... :eek 2:
Edit: I almost NEVER get in the car or go online to go get a fastener. I have my stuff...

One system that I have seen uses capped jars with the caps fastened to an overhead panel. The contents are visible and to access, you unscrew the jar.

In final analysis, the wasted space within each container will far exceed the waste because of using round containers.

I remember my dad had a system like that. He took glass babyfood jars when that is how babyfood usually came and nailed a bunch of the caps on a board then nailed that board to the trusses above in the basement shop. Could see contents easily and easy to get to.

Back