Another Threading Question

That's what I mean. if I crank all the way out towards me, once it's off the screw it sits there. It sits on the chip guard. if I pull back it slides off like normal. so if I'm not paying attention it just goes to the end of it's travel and stops. if I take the chip guard off it'll fall.

No wait!!
I'm a liar... it rams into the collar. lol
I'm not sure what I was thinking. almost think I made the whole thing up.

Your description of just stopping at the end of travel sounds to me like what the compound would do. :D

Can't see enough in your picture, but newer lathes typically have charts for threads per inch, metric pitch, module threads, and diametral pitch.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-diametral-pitch.htm I often see people talking about "diametrical" pitch, but I do not think there is any such thing...

from Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear): Module or modulus, m
Since it is impractical to calculate circular pitch with irrational numbers, mechanical engineers usually use a scaling factor that replaces it with a regular value instead. This is known as the module or modulus of the wheel and is simply defined as
m = p / π {\displaystyle m=p/\pi } where m is the module and p the circular pitch. The units of module are customarily millimeters; an English Module is sometimes used with the units of inches. When the diametral pitch, DP, is in English units,
m = 25.4 / D P {\displaystyle m=25.4/DP} in conventional metric units.
The distance between the two axis becomes
a = m ( z 1 + z 2 ) / 2 {\displaystyle a=m(z_{1}+z_{2})/2} where a is the axis distance, z1 and z2 are the number of cogs (teeth) for each of the two wheels (gears). These numbers (or at least one of them) is often chosen among primes to create an even contact between every cog of both wheels, and thereby avoid unnecessary wear. and damage. An even uniform gear wear is achieved by ensuring the tooth counts of the two gears meshing together are relatively prime to each other; this occurs when the greatest common divisor (GCD) of each gear tooth count equals 1, e.g. GCD(16,25)=1; If a 1:1 gear ratio is desired a relatively prime gear may be inserted in between the two gears; this maintains the 1:1 ratio but reverses the gear direction; a second relatively prime gear could also be inserted to restore the original rotational direction while maintaining uniform wear with all 4 gears in this case. Mechanic engineers at least in continental Europe use the module instead of circular pitch. The module, just like the circular pitch, can be used for all types of cogs, not just evolvent based straight cogs.

(Bob) Have I helped or hindered? 8^)
You may never have a need to use this information, and all lathes with the proper change gears can cut them, but, lacking the charts, you would have to figure it out for your lathe. My advice is to simply ignore everything except threads per inch and metric pitch, even perhaps cover them so you do not use them by mistake (I did that once.)
Likely, inch pitch threads, metric module threads, and diametral pitch leads. Likely if the lathe has an inch pitch leadscrew, the latter two need to have a pile of change gears to be used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back