Another Threading Question

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
My lathe has three threading charts. what's the one on the very right for? I apologise, this is the best picture I have right now

IMAG0683.jpg

Gunrunner you need to order a set of these for the Z axis hand crank. Bill did you just spit coffee on your monitor? :rofl:

View attachment 253356

Last edited:
I think chips&more is right. Looks like a feed speed chart on the right side. Looks like it is also indicating that cross slide auto feed speed is 1/3 or 1/5 of the carriage feed speed. It's hard to make out which in the pic.

Tom

Ahhhhhhh okay. that makes the pictures make more sense. it's giving you feed rates inch on the left of the gear setup and mm on the right. and saying that the cross slide is 1/3 the speed of the carriage.
On the top it has a picture of a thread slash circle with an arrow, so ya probably distance of travel per rev then with the inch and mm labeled underneath. and obviously those aren't any specific threads just carriage speeds?

That was the best picture. the chart really is that faded.

Ahhhhhhh okay. that makes the pictures make more sense. it's giving you feed rates inch on the left of the gear setup and mm on the right. and saying that the cross slide is 1/3 the speed of the carriage.
On the top it has a picture of a thread slash circle with an arrow, so ya probably distance of travel per rev then with the inch and mm labeled underneath. and obviously those aren't any specific threads just carriage speeds?
Bingo!

Tom

The right most chart is definitely for feed rate. Per the diagrams you have a choice of feeding either the carriage or the cross slide. There should be a lever on the apron that you have to operate to get one or the other.

The row of numbers on the left gives the feed rate in inches per rev. FOR CARRIAGE. The row on the right is the same feed rate but expressed in mm. for each of the gear box settings (in the middle row).

The little diagram at the bottom left seems to say that you have to multiply the feed rates given for the carriage by 1/3 when in the cross slide feed mode.

Please be careful in using the cross slide feed. When running in reverse it will drive the cross slide towards the operator. If it travels all the way to the end of the dovetail, it will jam up the cross slide and something might break.

PS: Bob, what do you eat for breakfast? :)

Last edited:
Ya I have a clutch select knob on the apron to control the carriage or the cross slide. my cross slide does not come all the way off when screwed out, just stops and sits there at the end of the screw. which is nice. but if i take the chips guard off, I think the cross slide plummets in a cataclysmic path towards the floor.

Shawn, what happens when you crank the cross slide in the other direction, all the way in towards you, to the front end of the dovetail?

Back