Another person asking "What should I buy for a milling machine"

zonk2

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone, I am about to purchase a used milling machine, such as a Bridgeport OR buy a new CNC milling machine, such as a Tormach. I have only up to $7000. to spend and I am in Canada, so that limits me somewhat.
I have some experience will manual milling and also with writing basic G-codes. I know that I can get a heavier machine if it is a manual mill, but I would like to get into CNC. None of the things that I will build will need to be done
fast.
Would it be better to buy a used Bridgeport from Craiglist, or similar site for around $5000 or pay another $2000 on a new or newer cnc milling machine.

I like to be able to make something on a whim on my manual machine. Personally I think a manual machine is way more fun. Programming is a major buzz kill for me. My 2 cents.

I like to be able to make something on a whim on my manual machine. Personally I think a manual machine is way more fun. Programming is a major buzz kill for me. My 2 cents.

I agree.

He didn't say what he planned to do with the mill. If he plans on running short to medium production of repeatable jobs I think a CNC would be best.

IMHO, its best to run a manual machine quite a while before considering CNC. Remember CNC just turns the handles, you have to already know how to machine.

Also a Bridgeport will hold or increase in value over time.

in that case, get something with and CNC control AND handwheels. Best of both worlds. I'm not really hip to which controls are decent, and/or allow manual machining, but they're out there.

32-cnc-vertical-mill-bridgeport-proto-trak-1.jpg

Hi everyone, I am about to purchase a used milling machine, such as a Bridgeport OR buy a new CNC milling machine, such as a Tormach. I have only up to $7000. to spend and I am in Canada, so that limits me somewhat.
I have some experience will manual milling and also with writing basic G-codes. I know that I can get a heavier machine if it is a manual mill, but I would like to get into CNC. None of the things that I will build will need to be done
fast.
Would it be better to buy a used Bridgeport from Craiglist, or similar site for around $5000 or pay another $2000 on a new or newer cnc milling machine.

I have been going through the same process. I decided to buy a used Bridgeport type mill and convert it to CNC but retain full manual control. my budget so far is $3k for the mill and about $5k for the CNC hardware & software. So I figure all in, will be $8-10K but I will have a very functional machine.

If $7000 is your budget, I don't think Tormach will fit in, especially when you start adding tooling. The PCNC770 barely fits that in $USD and I don't think that includes the stand.

You may want to check out the PM-45 CNC. Ray C on here has one I believe and he is quite happy with it. You might be able to buy it and some starting tooling on your budget.

You can't go wrong with a Bridgeport knee mill if you have the space for it. You may also want to look at the PM935.

I have been going through the same process. I decided to buy a used Bridgeport type mill and convert it to CNC but retain full manual control. my budget so far is $3k for the mill and about $5k for the CNC hardware & software. So I figure all in, will be $8-10K but I will have a very functional machine.

I like your idea, but that is going to be beyond my price range.
Most posts suggest just going with a manual mill.

You can buy a nice rebuilt Bridgeport for $7,000.00. That means re scrapped working surfaces. Try Googling rebuilt Bridgeport milling machine.

You can buy a nice rebuilt Bridgeport for $7,000.00. That means re scrapped working surfaces. Try Googling rebuilt Bridgeport milling machine.

OK, I'll try that and see what I can come up with, although I don't think there are many "deals" in Canada, compared to the USA

Back