Another lighting quandry...lathe this time

Like others, I simply bought regular clamp on or magnetic lamp holders from Walmart or wherever and put LED replacement bulbs in them. I was replacing the bulbs in the fixture on the 4x6 bandsaw often ... vibration was killing the filaments ... and the LED replacement has solved that problem.

One thing to note is the wattage rating of the fixtures and the bulbs. The fixtures are rated for incandescent bulbs, often 60 or 75 watt's max. This is based on the ability of the base of the fixture to dissipate the heat generated by the incandescent bulb without meltdown. The LED replacement's base does get hot but not nearly as hot as the incandescent with the same light output. I have had 75 watt replacement LED's [12 - 14 watt actual IIRC] in 60 watt fixtures without any issues for a year.

I don't get the light I like from "soft white" bulbs. I prefer the "daylight" temperature range. Much whiter and brighter. ...
GG

Certainly not trying to start a "soft white - daylight" argument. We'll save the energy for the "China - Taiwan - Old US Iron" discussions.

I prefer the soft white. The daylight was, in my opinion, too much like a "single point of light" source and therefore, in my opinion, very sharp and distracting shadows. This depressed me as I was after the "whiter and brighter" that they offered, but that feature was overshadowed [no pun intended] by the sharp light and dark contrasts.

The good news is that Home Depot will exchange them without any questions so which ever one you get you will eventually [0 to 1 exchange required] be good-to-go.

IF you can find one - online, don't bother looking at HD or Lowes - you can use a 24V Xenon bulb G4 base. At least mine is a halogen G4 base, 24V, no part number. The Xenon runs cooler than the Halogen bulbs and may likely last longer. OR - buy 12V LED G4 base bulbs on Amazon, and when you do get a converter.

http://www.amazon.com/Security-Came...84&sr=8-7&keywords=24v+ac+to+12v+dc+converter

Wire that in your control box using the wires that go to the light, then out from the converter to the lamp.

This would be a typical LED to look at
http://www.amazon.com/Mudder®-380-4...&sr=8-3&keywords=12V+LED+G4+base+bright+white

Be sure to look for "bright white", color temps 5000 and up. The warm white is pretty orange and typically 2700K color temp. yuk.

I also have a 4' dual bulb T8 fixture over the lathe, with 6500K bulbs.

Last edited:
Agree w the more light is better theory. Getting old sucks and seems like vision goes rapidly after 40. I have a std 4' - 2 bulb fluorescent fixture directly above the lathe and also an incandescent lamp on a flex shaft to repo and aim as needed up close.
LED sounds neat tho.

Back