Another lighting quandry...lathe this time

drs23

Active User
Registered
I'm tired of replacing the halogen light that's on my G4003G. Grizz has replaced it several times but it's now out of warranty so I'm wanting to to LED. It's powered by a 24V transformer. I don't know the name of the terminal type but it's just two prongs that plug into the receptacle in the gooseneck that travels with the apron. I've looked on Ebay and didn't really see what I'm looking for there (which is plug-N-play).

I'm open to any and all leads, ideas and/or direction. If you read my lighting adventure for the mill then you're already aware that I'm an electrical/electronic idgit. :help:

Thanks,

Dale

The 1st thing is that LED's operate on DC (Direct Current) at about 20 ma. If you wanted to use a pre-made led "bulb" there may be one on ebay that you can find. If you want to make your own, the 24 volts from the light is probably AC (Alternating Current) LED's don't like AC. You can wire a diode bridge across the 2 pins and wire multiple LED's across the other 2 terminals. You can also use 1 diode on series (inline) with the LED's which will produce half wave DC. If you want to discuss further, please PM me.

24V AC to 12V DC inline with the wires going from the transformer in your control box to the light, then see if you can retrofit a suitable 12V bulb socket. Then you can just use any 12V LED bulb you like, there are lots'n'lots of them as they're very popular in desk lamps and elevator lighting.

I'd personally make my own, but bypass the 24V circuit entirely, use the mains power supply for the lathe and then use a "220/110V AC to whatever V DC I need" constant current driver. There are simply buttloads of these available and they're cheap as chips. I probably have a spare driver and LED you can have for nothing if you want to play. Then just spin up a nice alu disk that'll fit in your light housing and Bob's your uncle, Maisy's your aunt.

The 1st thing is that LED's operate on DC (Direct Current) at about 20 ma. If you wanted to use a pre-made led "bulb" there may be one on ebay that you can find. If you want to make your own, the 24 volts from the light is probably AC (Alternating Current) LED's don't like AC. You can wire a diode bridge across the 2 pins and wire multiple LED's across the other 2 terminals. You can also use 1 diode on series (inline) with the LED's which will produce half wave DC. If you want to discuss further, please PM me.

Ya lost me after AC & DC, I know what those are and I've used diodes in MC wiring before but after that I'm lagging behind. I'll try to PM you after I get this "broke down on the road" job out.

Thanks much.

24V AC to 12V DC inline with the wires going from the transformer in your control box to the light, then see if you can retrofit a suitable 12V bulb socket. Then you can just use any 12V LED bulb you like, there are lots'n'lots of them as they're very popular in desk lamps and elevator lighting.

I'd personally make my own, but bypass the 24V circuit entirely, use the mains power supply for the lathe and then use a "220/110V AC to whatever V DC I need" constant current driver. There are simply buttloads of these available and they're cheap as chips. I probably have a spare driver and LED you can have for nothing if you want to play. Then just spin up a nice alu disk that'll fit in your light housing and Bob's your uncle, Maisy's your aunt.

The end result sounds cool. Not so sure about the path to get there but I'm certainly gaining an education here. I'll PM you as well and perhaps this will end up just ducky.

Thank you.

LED bah, Home Depot has a 48 inch lighting fixture that holds 6 bulbs, I run "Daylight" bulbs in it, its bright as the freaking sun. I have one hanging over my lathe and 5 more in my 3 car garage all running off one 20 amp circuit. At night my garage looks like the Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind mother ship!

I would enjoy the lesson. I dont speak German so all this confuses me ahahaha

...snip...I've looked on Ebay and didn't really see what I'm looking for there (which is plug-N-play).

I'm open to any and all leads, ideas and/or direction...snip

You want easy?... I did too... :) what I did:

Rockler 24'' Snake Arm Shop Light - magnetic or clamp mount, you pick... holds fast doesn't move on you...
http://www.rockler.com/24-snake-arm-shop-light

Google "Sylvania Ultra Professional Series PAR20 10w LED", one example:
http://www.earthled.com/products/sy...-led-par-lamp-78748-led10par20-dim-p-930-fl30

...really like the light that LED puts out, was on sale at Lowes at the time I got it for ~$25

I just use the old fashioned work lights, some are on flexible mounts, some are the old arm type. Instead of a regular bulb, I went to Home Depot and picked up some Cree LED soft white bulbs. If you watch for them, they put them on sale from time to time for about $7 a bulb. I love 'em and have them all over the house now. They are dimmable and even look like a regular bulb! http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-60W...ght-Bulb-BA19-08027OMF-12DE26-2U100/204592770

CFLs have all been gone from my house now for about a year, ever since one of them tried to burn the house down. Cost me almost as much to get rid of them as it did to buy them, since they have mercury in them and are considered hazardous waste. Glad they are gone! I never liked them in the first place, I can always pick out the 60 Hz 'flicker' they make.

The usual disclaimer applies: I have no affiliation with Cree or Home Depot, I just like the Cree bulbs and have been very satisfied with them.

I don't get the light I like from "soft white" bulbs. I prefer the "daylight" temperature range. Much whiter and brighter. I use the old articulating light fixture that came on my Logan lathe (and lots of others too), but I put a daylight 26w (100w equivalent) CFL bulb in it. I also mounted a clamp light with aluminum reflector over the chuck with the same bulb in it. Only 52 watts, but very bright working area. Cheap, easy, and effective.

GG

LED bah, Home Depot has a 48 inch lighting fixture that holds 6 bulbs, I run "Daylight" bulbs in it, its bright as the freaking sun. I have one hanging over my lathe and 5 more in my 3 car garage all running off one 20 amp circuit. At night my garage looks like the Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind mother ship!

This ^
I have a single 4 ft, 2 bulb light over my lathe, and two, 8 ft, 2 bulb commercial sign lights (580 watts combined) for the rest of the 2 car garage. There isn't a surgeon on the planet who wouldn't be proud to operate in my little piece of paradise.

Back