Another lathe painting and parts question

sanddan Will have to see about finding some prep all and cost, Did pickup some light weight body filler to at least fill a couple of big imperfections, But have not deceide to just put several heavy coats of paint or a filler primer on it yet. Have decided on a hammer paint that is fairly smooth but sows some texture. That Will cover some

tq60 The plates are almost smooth. I do not feel anything running my hand over them. Have to get a battery for the camera and take a picture

For your surface build up of cast simply paint works.

There are glazing compounds for auto body work that look like red tooth paste and is expensive but worth it.

The stuff is to fill in small spots or scratches and you use over paint.

You paint a coat then look for dips or obvious spots and with putty knife fill them and after cured sand with fine paper then another coat of paint and fill remaining spots.

We used rust olium from lowes as it thins with acetone along with using a hf detail gun as it will spray not thinned much paint.

Thin just a bit so little over spray if any and careful to avoid running but this will allow paint layer to get real thick.

Ours was almost 1/4 inch thick in places from factory.

This buildup over many many coats will fill in remaining spots and the surface will look good.

Down side is it takes quite some time to cure to real hard but it does look great and no sanding needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Ok, did get some pictures of the plates that I have to figure how to reproduce had fun trying to get them in a photo where you could actually see them. IMG_0275.JPG IMG_0276.JPG
any one know a way to reproduce something that would allow me to make some type of plate, Even if out of something else, I just need a way to keep track of which position for what thread etc.

Ken

You could look at photo etching like printed circuit boards.

Flatten out and scan into computer then use software to clean up.

Scan a ruler along side so you can adjust printing to scale.

Next call around to offset print shops or electronics supply to determine if they have a way to take your image to a circuit board.

Google printing to circuit boards maybe.

The basic is a paint that is immune to an acid is used to block off what you want to stay then soak it in an acid that east away the low spots.

Yours looks to be offset printed or silk screen printed and that can be done at a t shirt shop if you supply the printed image and make a handful of plates.

Many ways...budget and vendors limit them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Cheap way would be to just photograph the existing plates with a digital camera/phone, and then adjust the image to be black&white so you can read everything, then print it out on a sticky-sheet (where you peel the back off and stick it down). You can paint it with lacquer or something to make it more resistant to oil and stuff on the machine.

Back