Another Bloody Australian

Thanks Ben, making time to trawl the forum is a priority, the information and skills here are outstanding. Mike, There's a gunsmithing section! I had no idea, you can count on seeing me there.

Ben

G'day Hobby Machinists,

My name's Ben and as the title would suggest, I am from Australia, South Australia to be exact. I have always been fascinated with machining but never knew how or where to begin, I came to the realization that the only way I'm going to be able to make a start in hobby machining is if I take the plunge and purchase a lathe, so that's what I did.

I'm now the proud owner of a used Taiwanese LANTAINE LAM-350B lathe of 1980's vintage, specs: 250mm(10") swing over bed, 609(24") between centres and 35mm(1 3/8) through spindle.

The lathe came from a retired hobbyist who owned it from new and he also did me a great deal on tooling, I think I have just about everything I need for now, e.g. micrometer, dividers, dial indicator, dozens of taps, dies and drill bits, set squares, knurling tools, dead centre and live centre, drill chuck, 3 and 4 jaw, HSS steel, etc.. too much to mention it all here!

I'm told Taiwanese lathes of this vintage are quiet well made copies of English made machines and have a bit of a following here in Australia, time and experience will tell.

While browsing the site I spotted some familiar names, people of YouTube fame so that's a great sigh of what to expect around here.

I'm still finding my way around the lathe, learning what all the knobs and leavers do, I've been trying out some of the different cutting/knurling tools that came with the lathe and hopefully one day soon I will be capable of tackling a small project or 2, I did however manage to turn down the OD of a plastic bore guide I purchased but didn't fit the action of my rifle, now a perfect fit, it's not a huge achievement but I was pretty pleased with myself.

Well that's all for now and Thanks for taking the time,

NedsHead. View attachment 119258View attachment 119256 View attachment 119257

G'day Ben. Welcome to this great site. I see you've been here longer than me, I'm a newby too well on this site, but not new to machining, been machining all my life, but only recently got my own lathe Also Taiwanese, but brand new, very happy with it so far.

Very green with your luck on the purchase of all the right bits and a machine that appears to have been well looked after, you've done well. Ilooked for quite a while and gave up then bought a new machine.

Not sure if there is any one else here from Adelaide, quite a few Aussies as you've already discovered. Looks like you're making a pretty successful start those early jobs look pretty good

Hi bobshobby, it's good to see someone else from South Australia on the forum, I actually haven't been around much since this first post, it's a great forum with exceptional content, I just haven't had the time to participate, I do frequent the Australian metal work forum and I plan on returning and participating again here in the near future, I have decided it's time for a career change and to learn some proper machining so I'll be starting a TAFE course mid year, I'll do a 10 week introductory followed by an advanced trade coarse, I'll spend more time here when my courses start.

Cheers

Ben

Hi bobshobby, it's good to see someone else from South Australia on the forum, I actually haven't been around much since this first post, it's a great forum with exceptional content, I just haven't had the time to participate, I do frequent the Australian metal work forum and I plan on returning and participating again here in the near future, I have decided it's time for a career change and to learn some proper machining so I'll be starting a TAFE course mid year, I'll do a 10 week introductory followed by an advanced trade coarse, I'll spend more time here when my courses start.

Cheers

Ben

Great decision Ben, nothing like a bit of formal training, just don't let it limit your imagination. There is rarely ever only one correct way to do something. Certainly the best forum I've found. 95% of members have a great attitude. and always willing to help, rather than critisize.

Thanks for the welcomes middle.road and brino, just like buying a used vehicle it's great piece of mind knowing the history and caricature of the previous owner, the guy I bought it off was a very organized and thorough type. The papers that came with the lathe a quite interesting too, it's from a time in the far East when quality control was high on the agenda, I've attached photo's of the test report done when the lathe left the factory, note on the front cover the company name "LAM" and below is the manager and inspectors family name stamped in Chinese which is also the character for LAMView attachment 119296 View attachment 119297 View attachment 119298 View attachment 119299
G'day Neds head, Welcome to the club, there is more than half a dozen of us here in Adelaide, I have personally met up with at least 4 of them. I have also met with Savarin in Townsville, when I was travelling around just before covid. Your lathe looks like a beauty, theTaiwanese machines beat chinese hands down. What part of Adelaide are you in? I'm in Eden Hills, near Blackwood.

Back