Another Bloody Australian

I have a 14" gap bed & have never had my gap open. The one time I thought about removing it the work wouldn't fit in the gap anyway so I paid another person with the correct lathe for the job. I rarely turn anything that wouldn't fit in your lathe so I'm sure you'll find it very useful.

I think you're right kingmt01, it should be able to handle all the hobby jobs I throw at it, actually the distance between centres is probably the limiting factor but 600mm is still plenty enough for the work I will be doing

Mine is 40" of travel on. I love having that much. I can keep the steady & tailstock at the end out of the way. However I rarely work more then 6" off the chuck. So 6" of work & 6" of chuck so I use about 12" for the work & maybe another 14" for the tail stock & drill. So most of my stuff would fit in your lathe. If you find later you need more room then you will be knowable of what your true needs are by then.

Welcome aboard. When I saw the title of this thread, I thought for a sec that we had another 'Lessons Learned' post....
That's a heck of great lathe, IMO. Looks be in very fine shape. It's nice to know it's history that's for sure.

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the site!
It looks like you're off to a great start. That lathe is much nicer than my first tiny, worn-out one.

-brino

Thanks for the welcomes middle.road and brino, just like buying a used vehicle it's great piece of mind knowing the history and caricature of the previous owner, the guy I bought it off was a very organized and thorough type. The papers that came with the lathe a quite interesting too, it's from a time in the far East when quality control was high on the agenda, I've attached photo's of the test report done when the lathe left the factory, note on the front cover the company name "LAM" and below is the manager and inspectors family name stamped in Chinese which is also the character for LAMDSC_2147.jpg DSC_2151.jpg DSC_2150.jpg DSC_2149.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like it is Taiwanese and I still believe that their castings have been of good quality since the late '80s early '90s.

sold under the name David in Europe
you could have done a lot worse
it will beat the **** out of every modern day chinese lathe anyday

Another Gday from a Ben in Clermont QLD! Having a nice machine makes the initial experiments much better, I'm a newbie too and spend hours trawling through the info here. Read read read and then dive in head first!

Gdie mite, from the other side of the world, glad to read about your lathe and jobs.
See you in the gunsmithing section?
Mike

Back