Annular cutters

Thanks for all the responses! I don't have a mag drill and do not plan to buy one. They will be used
on the mill or lathe. I can see the utility in the larger annular cutters, not so much in the ones I have
other than the advantage of nice clean holes over standard drill bits.

I can see the utility in the larger annular cutters, not so much in the ones I have
other than the advantage of nice clean holes over standard drill bits.
Speed and they don't need a pilot hole. You can drill a 1" hole in 1/2" plate in seconds, not minutes.

Speed and they don't need a pilot hole. You can drill a 1" hole in 1/2" plate in seconds, not minutes.
Exactly. And the slugs can some in handy for making bushings/spacers, instead of being converted into useless swarf using conventional cutters. A great arrow to have in the quiver for both the mill and lathe. Toolmex makes very nice annular cutter holders for both R8 and Morse Taper.

I made a 5x8 box for the annular cutters last evening and finished up pretty much this morning.
The hasp was made from a piece of copper 1 inch pipe as shown in the front of the box.

P1040112.JPG
If I spent some time on it with some brass polish it would look even better. I used my 4.5 inch
angle grinder to cut the pipe longitudinally and then a length was cut off and flattened by hammering
on a flat chunk of steel.

P1040113.JPG
The hinges were made of part of the back panel of some sort of electronics metal cabinet. I wasn't in
the mood for spending money on hinges for a utilitarian box for annular cutters. I have to say I am getting better
at box making and having fun doing it.

I use them all the time on the mill. Mostly 1-2 inches in thickish steel. Run them slow and always use spray/mist coolant. I suspect sharpening could be expensive.
Aaron

DSCF4465.JPG

How well do annular cutters work on round stock from the side where the beginning and end of the cut will have an interrupted cut. Often have to cut 1 to 3 inch dia holes into the side of 4" Sch 120 pipe (4.500 od x 0.438 wall)

How well do annular cutters work on round stock from the side where the beginning and end of the cut will have an interrupted cut. Often have to cut 1 to 3 inch dia holes into the side of 4" Sch 120 pipe (4.500 od x 0.438 wall)
With 4" pipe that thick, the smaller end of your range would be fine. Rigid work holding is key as is starting off slow enough for the cutter to self guide. I have broken a few cutters drilling tubing that flexed and shattered them. Closer to 3", a hole saw would be safer, that's a very interrupted cut for an expensive cutter. I'm sure someone makes a carbide tipped cutter with a softer steel body, I've never looked.

Has anyone tried the Vevor annular cutter sets?
That's what I have. I haven't had a need for super high quality ones, and I bought 2 different sets from Vevor. They are high speed steel, and did come sharp. I had no issues boring through a 1 1/2" A36 plate at all, or through some heavy wall structural tubing. The grinding is not amazingly smooth on them, but they do seem to be on size at least. I don't have any problem with them for the price.

Back