Annular cutters

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
Today while tinkering in the shop, I found some annular cutters given me by a friend some years ago. I cleaned them up
and oiled the inside shaft as several were bound up and not smooth operating like the others. There are several sizes from about 1/2 inch to maybe a little over an inch. I'm thinking they would be used for drilling precision holes since the pilot hole is a very close tolerance.
Does anyone have an idea of what their claim to fame might be?

Since I have been making some wood boxes lately, I will likely make a nice little box for them rather than putting them back into a tin can.
Hopefully I will find a use for them in the future.

Well, it's getting close so I wish you all a HAPPY NEW YEAR!P1040111.JPGSome are new and never used and some are well resharpened. The center locating pins are about 5/16 inch diameter and hardened
with a fine groove longitudinally.

The pins really aren't as much for centering as for extracting the slug from the bit. Annular cutters take much less force and drill a very clean hole. They are used with magnetic drills and have a 3/4" Weldon shank. One in the picture has a fitting so the weldon can be fitted into a normal chuck.

Dave

I got an education on annular cutters from one of our more experienced members. (Maybe he'll chime in on this thread.) They do, indeed, cut a very precise and clean hole. I use mine quite regularly on the mill. In addition, I have had a few instances where I needed to mill such a hole on large diameter round stock and have done that quite successfully on the lathe by mounting the cutter in the tail stock. I now have a small collection of various sizes - the largest in the 2-1/2" to 3" range. (I'm not down in the shop, and I don't remember the exact size of that one.) Wish I had discovered them sooner.

I suspect you're going to like them.

Regards

I'll second the very nice holes, and in a hurry.
View attachment 472608
View attachment 472609
View attachment 472611

Don't try to peck drill with them, just stand on it, maybe harder than you'd think is appropriate. And use LOW speed.

RU happy with the Vevor mag drill? I hate buying Chinese, but quality mag drills are too expensive and that looks like something I might consider next time I need a big hole in my welding table.

Is this hole for mounting your ultra-swanky Fireball vise? Give us a review once you've used it.

RU happy with the Vevor mag drill? I hate buying Chinese, but quality mag drills are too expensive and that looks like something I might consider next time I need a big hole in my welding table.

Is this hole for mounting your ultra-swanky Fireball vise? Give us a review once you've used it.

I am so far, for the money I've been real impressed with it. Yeah, that was mounting the vice, I'm still putting miles on it, all good to date!

Back