Annular cutters

Here's my collection of boxes made so far all made from rough lumber and home made hardware. These are all oak
wood with the exception of the one one on the top right which is from a red pine tree and one below it which might be ash. I also have a lot of black ash bolts so will be giving that a try next.
P1040115.JPG

Nice boxes and hardware! What kind of jig do you use for the finger joints and or dovetails?
Aaron

Very impressed! As a lifelong woodworker I know the effort that has gone into those. Have you signed and dated each?

Very impressed! As a lifelong woodworker I know the effort that has gone into those. Have you signed and dated each?
I'm in trouble now! Not yet. I'm considering making a logo to brand my boxes, something like the
outline of a gear with my initials inside. I'm not sure how I am going to make this yet. Yes, I like the
idea of putting a date on them as well.

Nice boxes and hardware! What kind of jig do you use for the finger joints and or dovetails?
Aaron
Hi Aaron,

I made a table saw sled for the box joints using a 3/8 x16 threaded rod. Eight TPI or even 4 TPI would
have a better choice in retrospect. The dovetails were cut on a band saw with a small table jig angled at
fifteen degrees. The hardware employs a metal cutting band saw and a bit of milling with 1/8 inch end mills and a tin snips.

I hope you are making good use of the "Springfield Ideal" these days!

Burt

I'm not sure how I am going to make this yet. Yes, I like the
idea of putting a date on them as well.
There are places that make a variety of hot stamps to order. Some look like soldering irons, some designed to mount on a drill press. I had my logo made many years ago to use cold. Just making an impression in the maple I was using. I suspect you could make one yourself using steel letter & number sets meant for stamping metal. For fancy work you could use a pencil die grinder. Your milling machine might be able to be used like an etch-a -sketch. I probably couldn't pull that off but you might be able to. I'm not sure the best way to get a repeatable temperature so your brands come out the same. If I was to try making something like this I think I'd make the parts so they would slide into a dovetail slot and be clamped with an eccentric screw.

I hope you are making good use of the "Springfield Ideal" these days!
I've done a few small projects recently but I just posted a thread about the bigger project completed this summer.

Back