Am I crazy to be contemplating this Sheldon?

Give it a miss. Thats not worth $1000. No tooling, No tool post, quite possibly no chuck key. It may or may not even come with the stand in the picture. And they state "Item has not been tested, condition is unknown. We do not have the ability to test anything, we do offer a 30 day return from date of invoice." I see rust on the leadscrew and the bed, albeit only appears to be surface.

Cheers Phil

Give it a pass - Sheldon made some nice lathes, but that one has tooooo many marks against it. Its almost certainly an old boy - probably 40's, which can only add to the possibilities of wear, no tooling, shipping costs, unknown condition, etc, etc.

I would pass. That's all I gave for a 10x56 complete with 3 and 4 jaw steady and follower rest collet closer and collets. They are nice lathes but with the drive, untested and no tooling there are much better deals out there.

just my .02

I am letting it go. :phew:

The longer my lathe search goes on, the more I'm tempted to get something, anything. I really just needed to have someone jerk me back to reality. Even if you all hadn't stepped up and talked some sense about it, I wouldn't done it. The seller failed to respond to an email inquiry. Failing to reply is a great way to keep my money in my pocket. There has got to be a great deal somewhere in central Florida. I just have to stand firm and wait for it.

Thanks again. This is a great group you have here.

Larry

Keep an eye on the Craig's list thread as I often see stuff in Florida and post up any potential deals. Just be patient, you'll get what you want in the end!

Back