Am I crazy to be contemplating this Sheldon?

Baithog

Florida Machinist Group Moderator
Registered
Sheldon L-44, 5" 3-jaw chuck, motor not tested, no other tooling and no stand for $1000.

It is supposed to be a 9X20, but the pictures look longer than that. The pictures look clean, but... It's a two day drive from here, so I can't inspect it and would have to ship it.

It looks like a S/B from the picture. Would S/B chucks fit?

I was looking for an S/B 9A and toying with the idea of a G0602, but this might be a fun project. I have a Seig 7X14 Lathe and an X2 mill, so I could probably do some repair work.

What would you all put as a value on a hunk of iron that you can't walk up and touch? Am I crazy to consider this?

Larry

No pictures, makes it impossible to make a judgement call. :dunno:

Sheldon L-44, 5" 3-jaw chuck, motor not tested, no other tooling and no stand for $1000.

It is supposed to be a 9X20, but the pictures look longer than that. The pictures look clean, but... It's a two day drive from here, so I can't inspect it and would have to ship it.

It looks like a S/B from the picture. Would S/B chucks fit?
What would you all put as a value on a hunk of iron that you can't walk up and touch? Am I crazy to consider this?

Larry

I don't think it has a 1-1/2-8 spindle like a SB or Atlas. It's also going to be more than 9x20.

Sounds like a $500 lathe, but it may bring a little more. Not many machines available in Florida, so prices are inflated. I'd probably go look at it, kick the tires, then offer $500 or so. Probably will decline, just leave your name and number and tell him to call you if he changes his mind. In my experience, they call about half the time.
Personally, I wouldn't be real disappointed if he didn't call

Here's a link to it - http://www.ebay.com/itm/371009583201?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It's too far away to go look at. It looks to be a decent piece of American cast iron, but there doesn't seem to be the parts availability that there is for the more popular lathes. I would really be bummed to get it here and find out it was a turkey.

As much as I'm craving a bigger lathe, I think I'll wait a couple of weeks and make a much lower offer if it is still there.

Thanks for the opinion. I'm not sure what's what with buying this kind of machinery.

Larry

In looking at Tony Griffith's site ( http://www.lathes.co.uk/sheldon/index.html ) it would appear that Sheldon did NOT make a 9" lathe. I'm no Sheldon expert. Maybe Tony's site isn't complete or maybe the seller doesn't really know what he has. Either way, buyer beware.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Here's a link to it - http://www.ebay.com/itm/371009583201?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It's too far away to go look at. It looks to be a decent piece of American cast iron, but there doesn't seem to be the parts availability that there is for the more popular lathes. I would really be bummed to get it here and find out it was a turkey.

As much as I'm craving a bigger lathe, I think I'll wait a couple of weeks and make a much lower offer if it is still there.

Thanks for the opinion. I'm not sure what's what with buying this kind of machinery.

Larry

Looks nice enough. If I were in your place, I'd hit the Make Offer button at $500 and just see what happens. I don't think you could go wrong at that price

If it was me, I'd pass. It's too far away if a problem develops. Shipping aint gonna be cheap. (assume $500 for shipping). If you have to pay for shipping both ways, forget about it. I'd rather spend more on something that you can see and touch in person. Even if its a 3 hr drive. My 2 cents.

No way would I buy a used machine without looking at it first. If they got the basic info on the lathe wrong, what does that tell you about the seller? Two minutes on the internet tells you that it's a 10"x44" lathe, not a 9"x20".

meh, you have to include shipping, which will bring your cost above $1500. Nothing in your area for $1500?

HGR does offer a 30 day return policy. I've been watching a Van Norman 12 they have.

I'm no expert, but I do have a Sheldon and its a well made machine. I didn't think they made one smaller than a 10x38. They don't mention any tooling. If I wanted it, I'd hit them with an offer like the others have suggested. What's the worst they can say? No?
Upon edit, I think I would try to find one closer. I missed you saying a 2 day drive.

bedwards

Last edited:
Back