Aluminum Anodizing

graeme, can you explain what you mean by a greater cathode area and closer placement?
are my pictures showing up?

IDK what is up with this forum. if i go to edit my post, it shows the images.. yet when i post it shows the image with an X

In your pic I can only see one cathode - a piece of 50x 4 bar in the top right of the pic. I would have 8 of those (100 x 50 in acid) with one behind each part and maybe 4 down the middle. Overkill maybe but in proportion to your part surface area.

In your pic I can only see one cathode - a piece of 50x 4 bar in the top right of the pic. I would have 8 of those (100 x 50 in acid) with one behind each part and maybe 4 down the middle. Overkill maybe but in proportion to your part surface area.
Ah, there is a plate that covers the bottom of the tub, it attaches to the top part that rises up out of the bath.

4a17501ddae829a1a205dd4134cb0981.jpgcd40c73296dbf57051737319bbd3575e.jpg

Black is the hardest to get right with a home setup. A few questions.

What grade of aluminum are you using?

Are any of the parts touching the cathode?

What material is the cathode?

Are you rinsing the parts in clean water between each process?

What type of dye are you using?

Are you agitating the cleaner, desmut, dye and sealer tanks?

What temps are the cleaner, desmut and dye tanks?

Nickle Acetate sealer works better than boiling water.

I get better results with black if the acid solution is 10% at 65F or below. I freeze Ziploc baggies filled with water and drop in the acid tank.

Rifle sight.gif sight_complete.gif TrackerParts.gif Tracker_Completed.gif

Also try converting your .jpg photos to .gif. Seems to work better on this forum.

Those pics look like no dye was used. The bottom of the part shows some anodising with the majority typical of etched Al which has been boiled in water. I'm guessing the anodised parts were closest to the cathode.
Anodising is a battle between current and acid. The current adds an oxide layer while the acid eats it away (hence the pores).
Also current follows a path of least resistance. Parts closest to the cathode will anodise with small pores. Parts some distance away from the cathode may develop a small oxide layer but that will quickly be etched away.
Graeme

Back