Alternatives To Grizzly Lubrication Products

Some of the aprons on these lathes (my Kent USA 13x40 for sure) have some gears in the apron that are above the oil level. They are poorly oiled. The Vactra #2 sticks to them, keeping them oily and not just running off. It also helps keep them from rusting with longer times between uses. It is also a good idea to reach around the back of the apron and oil or grease the half nuts and the feed worm gears regularly (grease is a better lubricant but it attracts swarf.) They do not get properly lubricated otherwise and often wear out prematurely. My Kent lathe came with spares.

Actually the Grizzly manuals specify Grizzly T23962 or ISO 68 equivalent for the gearbox and the Apron under the lubrication sections which differs from the Fluid Capacities listing. Not sure if the tackifiers can cause more gumminess over time, and how it's ability to cling has been affected with the new reformulation. I find I need to apply regularly to my ways. Most of the closed gearboxes use splash lubrication, so nothing is going to help if they sit for a long time. I did use #2 Way Oil for the open gearbox figuring it might stick better, but once I added a pump oiler to the open gearbox and I use the Mobil ISO68 DTE26. I do not see that it is that critical to worry about it.

Great discussion everybody, thanks.

This brings up another question:

Why would Grizzly recommend two different oils for the headstock (T23963) vs the quick change gearbox (T23692)? They both contain meshing gears.

Headstock is ISO 32 which is thinner, there is higher speeds in the headstock which can cause more frictional drag, thicker oils also have a problem with getting to/coating the bearings at high speed. One of many reasons why most splash lubricated lathes max out at 2000-2500RPM. Lower speeds like a gearbox you want something thicker and that will stick to the gears as Bob K mentioned, especially something like a QCGB/carriage. Different manufactures seem to have their own reasons for the specifications that are different for the same type of machine, as mentioned JET specifies ISO68 for everything, probably makes life easier then buying 3 separate oils. There are also some considerations to ambient temperature, so when its cold ISO32, and using an ISO46 or ISO68 if it gets really hot. I do not think it makes much difference with the low stress/speed levels most hobbyists are using their machine.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/maximum-safe-rpm-for-a-grizzly-g4003g.34408/#post-291473

Back