Alternatives To Grizzly Lubrication Products

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Can anyone suggest alternatives to the Grizzly T23962 and T23962 lathe lubricating oils. I don't want to buy their expensive oil in 5gal buckets, plus pay shipping. I'd prefer to buy something locally, in 1gal jugs.

But when researching alternatives on the web it is a confusing morass of specification.

The descriptions on the Grizzly website claim their products contain Moly-D and "tackifiers", but the similar products I'm finding on the web don't seem to.

The Mobil products specified by Production Tool Supply (Mobil DTE24, and Mobil Vactra #2), apparently don't contain Moly-D, and have the "tackifiers" removed, something about the EPA disposal regulations, and blending better with flood coolant, etc.

Further, one is not recommended for wet clutches. Does the G4003G have wet clutches?

I don't want to become an "oil scientist", I just want to buy suitable and comparable oil.

Last edited:
Don't know if you want to use it. But bar & chain oil has the tackifiers in it that you want, and I have been using it for years on my machines without any problems. and you can get it at wally world for way less. My opinion is to try not to get caught up in all the hype that the people like grizzly and enco and others try to sell you for big $$$ when the same basic oil can be bought for less and do the same thing.

Other manufacturers import Chinese lathes that look almost exactly the same as the Grizzly products, except a different color paint than Grizzly green. Find their manuals online and find out what they use on lathes similar to yours. It isn't rocket science. If it is a gear head Asian lathe you can probably use ISO 32 AW hydraulic fluid in the spindle gearbox and the feed gearbox, and Vactra #2 in the apron, on the ways, in all the oilers, and on all the bare metal surfaces. It will work just fine.

I was thinking you were talking about way oil, my bad. Now as for the gear head oil the last time that I talked to a grizzly tec he told me that they were saying that it was ok to use 30w non detergent oil in the lathes so call them and ask and see if they tell you the same.

I bought ISO 32 and ISO 68 fluid from Family Farm & Home. 5 gallons of ISO 32 or 68 is $40, 2 gallons is $18.

Bruce

I've been using sae 20 gear oil in my gear head lathe, i got it from a marine(boat'y) supply the boat people seem to use a lot of adative free oils because of the salt watter (i think thats the reason any how).

Stuart

So to answerre your questions: g4003g Fluid Capacities and Types
Headstock Capacity = 3.5 qt.
Headstock Fluid Type - ISO 32 (eg. Grizzly T23963, Mobil DTE Light)
Gearbox Capacity 1 – 2 Pumps
Gearbox Fluid Type - ISO 68 (SB1365, Grizzly T23962, Mobil Vactra 2)
Apron Capacity = 0.5 qt.
Apron Fluid Type - ISO 68 (eg. Grizzly T23962, Mobil Vactra 2)

They specify ISO32 for the headstock, so as mentioned just about any hydraulic/gear oil will work, there is nothing special about it. Please understand that ISO 32 is about equal to SAE 10W motor oil (which shouldn't be used) and about 75W gear oil. Most people just order Mobil DTE 24 (Light) Super Stabilized Hydraulic 1 Gallon Container from Enco when they have a sale and free shipping. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=945275&PMAKA=505-1206
They specify ISO 68 for the gear train and Apron, I would use Mobil DTE26 (Heavy Medium) Super Stabilized Hydraulic 1 Gallon Container, I would not use Vactra 2. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=945277&PMAKA=505-1210
On the ways and sliding surfaces, I would use Mobil Vactra 2 Way Oil 1 Gallon Container, http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=945479&PMAKA=505-1987
These are standard oils, there is nothing special about the Grizzly oils, other than there high price. The Mobil product work great, they did change the tackifiers, the way oil still works fine. If you look at Jet lathes, they use ISO68 for everything.

There is no wet clutch on the any of these small lathes. There is nothing special about Moly D vs a good way oil, just another sales gimmick.

Back