Aloris vs Phase II BXA Tool Post

I own Phase 2 because of the price, but I like Aloris or other USA brands alot too. One thing you need to resolve in your mind and wallet, it's not just the total kit, but also how many holders you'll be buying in the long run. Unless you want to keep changing the bits back and forth alot, and there you can lose that extra bit of acuracy you just paid for. I have six so far at about $40 a pop for a Phase 2. Check out the prices on an American brand.

Thanks Mac, this is an excellent comparison and exactly what I was looking for.

OK, here's my .02

I have a Phase II BXA on the lathe that I run at my day job, I have Aloris posts on both of may lathes at home. I can make parts with just as much quality at my day job as I can make at home. Given the choice I would always take the Aloris over the Phase II as long as cost was not an issue.

In a home shop I really don't see the need to spend the money on anything better than Phase II and if my lathes didn't come with Aloris posts already on them they would probably have Phase II on them.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yea getting that rocker just right was always fun.

mac has my view on the issue. whatever you can afford for what you want to accomplish.
lantern posts holders were great when lathe's first appeared on earth. it was whatever was working at the time. what did they know

I got Aloris for my Craftsman 12" after considering the various import alternatives. OK it is more expensive and OK a good quality import clone would do the work. I agree with the practical advice already offered. But, I considered, the difference in cost between the good import and the American made Aloris boiled down to about two tanks of gas in my pickup. So I asked myself whether I was willing to invest a couple tanks of gas in an American machine company, and decided to go for the American made product. The Aloris is a very fine piece of equipment and there is a value to that as well.

We have a Phase 2 AXA on the South Bend 10L at work and I have a BXA from Tools4cheap.com on my 13" South Bend at home. No problems with either. If you go with the Chinese tool post (Phase 2 or other), the wedge is the better option and replace the hardware on the tool holders. The M8 x 1.25 set screws seem like they are carved from soap and coated in shoe polish. The elevation screw M10 x 1.0 will blow out the hex socket screw the first time you tighten it, so replace it too.

I got Aloris for my Craftsman 12" after considering the various import alternatives. OK it is more expensive and OK a good quality import clone would do the work. I agree with the practical advice already offered. But, I considered, the difference in cost between the good import and the American made Aloris boiled down to about two tanks of gas in my pickup. So I asked myself whether I was willing to invest a couple tanks of gas in an American machine company, and decided to go for the American made product. The Aloris is a very fine piece of equipment and there is a value to that as well.

I think these are good points (probably in part because they reflect the way I feel). Also consider how long you are going to own and use this tool post, you are probably going to end up "amortizing" the additional cost over a number of years. An if you wait for one of Enco's 20% off sales, the cost difference will be even less.
David

I went with a DTM because I got a deal on the fleabag

Tim
I also have a used DTM BXA series however, where do you find additional holders? Is there a cross reference anywhere as to which holders are interchangeable?
Thanks
Jim

Tim
I also have a used DTM BXA series however, where do you find additional holders? Is there a cross reference anywhere as to which holders are interchangeable?
Thanks
Jim

If you have a DTM BXA size tool post then that is DTM pn TP75A. Any BXA holder from Aloris or Dorian would fit. China BXA holders (series 250-200) should fit too. I say "should" cause some people have said some China BXA holders don't fit whatever brand tool holder they have. I use China holders with my Dorian & never had a problem, yet.

I bought a bunch of Dorian holders from Zoro tool for like 50 each when they have a sale. They are not the $19 chicom stuff and I only have about 6 of the Dorian, but I am just that way when it comes to tools. I also have a couple of Aloris holders, 2 boring bar holders, one that holds a drill chuck and I need to get a parting tool holder but I have enough now that I can actually do some pretty cool things. Now I just need to get my lathe rebuilt....Tim

FWIW - I have a AXA Phase II on the 9x20 and the new Enco came with a BXA size something. Bought many tool holders from CDCO. Never had a problem with the cheap ones. The cheap holders seem to work pretty well. Not building aircraft and have a budget, you do the best you can.

Tim
Thanks
Jim

I have an Aloris BXA tool post. I was considering buying a Dorian holder but was confused by its' specs. The Dorian BXA accepts a maximum 1" tool and the Aloris only 5/8". I called Dorian and was assured their BXA tool holder would fit my Aloris QCTP so I ordered one up to give it a try. It does indeed fit but is much larger than the Aloris. The Dorian is fantastic quality but gives a lesser height adjustment range than the Aloris. See the comparison photos below.

Bob

Aloris vs Dorian Holders 1.jpg

Aloris vs Dorian Holders 2.jpg

Aloris vs Dorian Holders 3.jpg

Aloris vs Dorian Holders 4.jpg

Aloris vs Dorian Holders 5.jpg

Aloris vs Dorian Holders 6.jpg

Aloris vs Dorian Holders 1.jpg Aloris vs Dorian Holders 2.jpg Aloris vs Dorian Holders 3.jpg Aloris vs Dorian Holders 4.jpg Aloris vs Dorian Holders 5.jpg Aloris vs Dorian Holders 6.jpg

Back