Aloris vs Phase II BXA Tool Post

Kickstart

Active User
Registered
Anyone have any experience with both the Aloris and Phase II BXA Tool Post? I've heard that the only difference is price.

Thanks

Anyone have any experience with both the Aloris and Phase II BXA Tool Post? I've heard that the only difference is price.

Thanks

Not true. Aloris is smoother, tighter, better built and finished and made in USA as opposed to china.

Not true. Aloris is smoother, tighter, better built and finished and made in USA as opposed to china.

I'm sure this is true but for the hobbyist I can't see how the end product(the part machined) or ease of use would be noticeably different. That being said if I could get either one for free I'd take the Aloris in a heartbeat.

Brian

I went with a DTM because I got a deal on the fleabag...a little cleanup of old grease, like new and butter smooth. Tim

First thing I noticed was the better repeatability and tightness of the Aloris. And that did make a difference in finish for me.

Bill

The big "2" Aloris and Dorian are essentially in their own league for repeatability. Yes I know there are the Swiss systems and some other brands that will try to make a case for equality,but they are a blip on the screen.
I used to think my Phase II was great, until I realized I was constantly recalibrating my DRO after tool changes. Happened upon a used Aloris and my eyes were opened! Then I found a new Dorian BXA set for an unbelievable price and that was every bit as good as the Aloris. Does the average hobbyist need it? Well thats up to the hobbyist. I know that since my income depends on speed and accuracy, it is a no-brainer.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Phase II is the best you'll get from China, no they are not all the same even though they use the same p/ns. I'd take a well used Aloris over a new Phase II any day. DTMs are very nice, I'd buy another one without thinking twice. I couldn't find a DTM at the time when I needed a new tool post. I went with Dorian & I'm really glad I did. Nothing wrong with Aloris but I like the Dorian SQCTP (newest wedge type) so much better. It has become my favorite.

Thank you all for your comments.
I can understand using the very best if your tool post is making you money. My lathe is used when I need to make something so it's just another toy in my collection. I am a firm believer of you get what you pay for however I ask my self on something like this, Do I really need something with that much precision.
I'm still on the fence about the Aloris but now have to check out the Dorian :))

Anyone else Please feel free to add your two cents.

Thanks

OK, here's my .02

I have a Phase II BXA on the lathe that I run at my day job, I have Aloris posts on both of may lathes at home. I can make parts with just as much quality at my day job as I can make at home. Given the choice I would always take the Aloris over the Phase II as long as cost was not an issue.

In a home shop I really don't see the need to spend the money on anything better than Phase II and if my lathes didn't come with Aloris posts already on them they would probably have Phase II on them.

mac has my view on the issue. whatever you can afford for what you want to accomplish.
lantern posts holders were great when lathe's first appeared on earth. it was whatever was working at the time. what did they know

Back