Air Compressor Drain Replacement : Warning Picture Heavy

if u look around online/eBeast, there are auto drain fittings u can adapt. they usually dump momentarily when the compressor shuts off. read description carefully as some require special controls to operate. if u can, look at a compressor with auto drain to scope how they work.

i use a timer and a solenoid valve..drains for 2 seconds every day(changable)..with a manual button for heave use
care to add a few details?

As in: what type of components to look for if wanting to duplicate?

:)

i use industrial timers ...set the first one to 999 minutes...that is your interval....then the second one is your air duration...i set it for 2-5 seconds depending on usage..
then a 1/4" solenoid valve under the compressor.

NIK_4989A.jpg

now you don't have to make your own like i did mannnny years ago

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Automatic-Tank-Drain-Compressors/dp/B00273WV78

If I bought that for the craftsman I put the ball valve on yesterday it would quadruple it's value.

Saylor Beall has a neat drain on their compressors. It is pneumatically operated and triggered by the unloader. So every time the compressor stops it triggers the drain. Doesn't require any 110V power like most of the other automatic drains since alot of people don't have 110V close to their 220V compressor and would need to resort to extension cords.

When we moved mine I did the same thing only I hard piped it thru the wall to the outside , I added a ball valve to drain it plus I installed a quick connect there also. I can run hoses in the back of the garage instead of around the whole thing. I have the auto drain on mine also but it seems to hang up often even tho I have it set for 5 seconds every 45 mins. So I just use the ball valve.

I'm not sure how good the quality is but we used a $9 Harbor Freight automatic drain kit on our compressor. I really should check on it when the weather clears and make sure it is still working lest I end up with half a tank of ugly water.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-compressor-drain-kit-68244.html

It appears to be pretty much the same device as the 'high price spread' - it works on the differential pressure when the cutoff/unloader valve opens at the end of a compressor cycle.

Stu

When we moved mine I did the same thing only I hard piped it thru the wall to the outside , I added a ball valve to drain it plus I installed a quick connect there also. I can run hoses in the back of the garage instead of around the whole thing. I have the auto drain on mine also but it seems to hang up often even tho I have it set for 5 seconds every 45 mins. So I just use the ball valve.
I have the same "Craftsman Professional " compressor and had nothing but trouble when I put on an auto drain right after I bought it some 15+ years ago. After a few months with auto drain
screwing up all the time, I switched to a ball valve setup. I think the problem lies with the "oilless compressor" design adding way too much HEAT ( and therefore moisture ) to the air being
compressed. The units have sadly inadequate cooling fins on the cylinders and no help at all from the transfer tube ( intercooler ? ). The manufacturer(s) also run these things at very high RPMs
in order to get ( barely ) the air pressure and volume they claim in their specs. They do OK overall, if not run to death, so I guess " we got what we payed for " in the end. BTW, I always shut
the power off to mine whenever I leave the garage.

Back