Advice Please

Do you mean reversing them so they are able to hold larger stock?

As well could I use my mill to grind the jaws as I don't have a tool post grinder for the lathe.

Do you mean reversing them so they are able to hold larger stock?

As well could I use my mill to grind the jaws as I don't have a tool post grinder for the lathe.

I'll reverse the jaws tomorrow and see what that gets us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you have two piece jaws, but are missing the reverse top jaws?

Nope, I have two piece jaws and the tops are there, I was thinking of reversing the entire jaw in its slot. I definitely overthought that one!!

Be right back, as it were!

When I nod my head.....

So the results of "flipping" the jaws

1" TGP 2" from chuck +.003" -.010"
12" from chuck +.000" -.030"

1 1/4" 4140 2" from chuck +.001" -.010"
12" from chuck +.007" -.004"

2 1/2" CRS 2" from chuck +.010" -.050"
12" from chuck +.034" -.200"

So as bad or worse just in the opposite direction.

How round and straight is the CRS and 4140? I've never found CRS to be round or straight.

I don't understand the plus and minus readings.? Are you zeroing on the low spot?

At this point this is what I would do:
Chuck up a piece of 2" aluminum with about 8" of stick out and take a skim cut to turn it true.
Measure each end of the rod for taper. (If there is significant taper that is another issue.)
Mark the jaws 1,2 &3.
Mark a line on jaw 1 and a corresponding mark on the rod.
Flip the rod and index it to jaw 1, then measure for run out.
Mark the chuck at the low spot and label #1, zero the indicator and the cross slide.
Record the measurements for each jaw, near the jaw and at the end of the turned part of the rod.
Re-index the rod to jaw 2, measure and record with the same indicator and cross slide zero as jaw 1. If the low spot moves mark it on the chuck and label.
Repeat for jaw 3.

Another option would be to make a set of soft jaws, pre-load the jaws and bore them to fit a turned or ground rod and do a similar measurement test as above. This would take the jaw clamping surfaces out of the mix and isolate it to the scroll/jaw teeth interface.

How well to the jaws fit in the slots of the jaw body?

How round and straight is the CRS and 4140? I've never found CRS to be round or straight.

I don't understand the plus and minus readings.? Are you zeroing on the low spot?

At this point this is what I would do:
Chuck up a piece of 2" aluminum with about 8" of stick out and take a skim cut to turn it true.
Measure each end of the rod for taper. (If there is significant taper that is another issue.)
Mark the jaws 1,2 &3.
Mark a line on jaw 1 and a corresponding mark on the rod.
Flip the rod and index it to jaw 1, then measure for run out.
Mark the chuck at the low spot and label #1, zero the indicator and the cross slide.
Record the measurements for each jaw, near the jaw and at the end of the turned part of the rod.
Re-index the rod to jaw 2, measure and record with the same indicator and cross slide zero as jaw 1. If the low spot moves mark it on the chuck and label.
Repeat for jaw 3.

Another option would be to make a set of soft jaws, pre-load the jaws and bore them to fit a turned or ground rod and do a similar measurement test as above. This would take the jaw clamping surfaces out of the mix and isolate it to the scroll/jaw teeth interface.

How well to the jaws fit in the slots of the jaw body?

Thanks for the response, once all that indexing is done what do I with that info?

The jaws fit well into the chuck body, no issue.

When I take the reading I just zero the DI with a jaw in a vertical position, I was just looking for runout. As roundness of stock, I used what I have and figured if I was going to turn that stock in a four jaw it would still be indicated with a DI.

I shifted the jaws in the slots (2 positions)and now down to .005" TIR on the 1" TGP, so good enough for me!

Back