[Newbie] Advice for Lathe Purchase

I tested the Colchester yesterday. Except for the broken then welded together - poorly but functional - hand wheel on the tailstock, it was in remarkably good, dare I say excellent condition. All of the speeds and feeds work as they should. There is about .025" backlash in the lead screw, about .012" in the cross slide, and about over .005" in the compound. The runout in the headstock spindle was less than .0002". The headstock was remarkably quiet and very smooth even at top speed - 1,000 r.p.m. The ways were in excellent condition with negligible wear.

The owner said he bought it from a friend who owned an auto repair shop and knew nothing more about it. He said he's only used it a handful of times on small hobby projects, and the only thing he's ever done to it was an oil change.

The motor is the 230V 1PH 1.5HP - GE if I remember correctly, so I assume that makes it the "mark one and a half" as mattewsx says. It has twin v-belts. $1,500 seemed like a bargain, and my SB 9a doesn't come close to comparing. I asked him what his bottom dollar was. He said $1,000 and I couldn't hand him the cash fast enough.

Well done!
I think you got a smoking deal on solid machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the new version of the GHB 1340A Jet is about $8000, depending on the vendor, I have the GHB1440A, and its been a fantastic purchase for me.

I tested the Colchester yesterday. Except for the broken then welded together - poorly but functional - hand wheel on the tailstock, it was in remarkably good, dare I say excellent condition. All of the speeds and feeds work as they should. There is about .025" backlash in the lead screw, about .012" in the cross slide, and about over .005" in the compound. The runout in the headstock spindle was less than .0002". The headstock was remarkably quiet and very smooth even at top speed - 1,000 r.p.m. The ways were in excellent condition with negligible wear.

The owner said he bought it from a friend who owned an auto repair shop and knew nothing more about it. He said he's only used it a handful of times on small hobby projects, and the only thing he's ever done to it was an oil change.

The motor is the 230V 1PH 1.5HP - GE if I remember correctly, so I assume that makes it the "mark one and a half" as mattewsx says. It has twin v-belts. $1,500 seemed like a bargain, and my SB 9a doesn't come close to comparing. I asked him what his bottom dollar was. He said $1,000 and I couldn't hand him the cash fast enough.

OK sir, step forward and place your hands on the hood of the car. You're under arrest for stealing that lathe!

WOW!!! That was the steal of a lifetime! You, sir, SUCK!:big grin: Congratulations, a nice Colchester for the price of a thrashed SB.

Congratulations. That is a smoking deal you got there and well played in your negotiations.
If you have a chance, share with us all the goodies that came along with her.
Oh, and I wouldn't worry about the hand wheel. It is my bet that you can find one to replace it as there are a lot of these machines out there that weren't as lucky as this one.

I got her home yesterday. Gave her a quick and dirty cleaning while she was on the trailer. It revealed a sticker near tailstock that she has the induction hardened ways. That was an additional cost option from the factory. I still need to level it and inspect the wiring. One of the previous owners wired in a welding plug. The lathe comes with a coolant pump but doesn't look as though it has worked in a long time. I'm glad all else works and I can get to using it. I might tackle the coolant component at some point but I doubt I'll use it. All the chips I cleaned out of it were aluminum - I'm stoked with this setup. Now I have to put my SB 9A up for sale. I sure hate having to sell it, but I won't need it and for sure don't have the room for it. I kept my Shoptask 1720 3-in-1 for small stuff because it's on wheels and doesn't take up too much space.

The purchase came with a bunch tools, holders and things I don't recognize. A lot of it isn't for this lathe. If you recognize the things in the metal box, I'd like to know what they are. It appears incomplete. the 5 machined pieces are stamped 1-5 on their tops. I'll go through everything next weekend - these are just overalls of the haul. I compressed the pictures for web using Publisher - let me know if it helps with the 'pictures are too large" issue. It reduced the resolution more than I liked, but you get the gist.

Lathe.jpgSticker.png
Unknown Tools.pngUnknown Tools2.png

The handles in the lower left image appear to be feed actuators for a mill. At least they resemble ones I have seen.

Back