[Newbie] Advice for Lathe Purchase

Gaffer

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm considering replacing my 9A with a larger one. I'm not in a rush, I don't want to spend more than $2500 on the machine, but the right deal could inspire me. My 9A is my first real experience with a lathe. I didn't rebuild it, but I disassembled all the significant parts, gave it a good cleaning, and learned from it. It's in decent shape for its age, and I could learn more about machining from it. With this in mind, what are your thoughts on these machines, and what pitfalls or potential issues should I be aware of? I'll want to see them under power, inspect the ways spindle. I'm not looking for a new project, but I won't mind cleaning, adjusting, or minor repairs.

One is a Jet GHB-1340A, and I lean toward this one.
Jet Overall.JPGJet Panel.JPGJet Chucks.JPG

Next is a 13" Atrump - it's 3 phase and would require a VFD.

Atrump Lathe.JPGAtrump Panel.JPG

Lastly, this one, with only 1 picture, no name brand or size. Do you recognize it?
Unknown Lathe.JPG

Thanks

I'd be looking at the third one. I recognize the doors/handles at the right end of the base cabinet, but can't place them. Definitely from an earlier era than the other two, but still a gear-head. Likely U.S. made. Someone should be able to identify it.

I would get the Jet. The third one is a Colchester and the bearings are way expensive to replace. You'd want to run that one before buying. The middle one looks a little ratty, plus no accessories, and the name might put some people off...lol
-Mark

Last edited:
+1 on the Jet. The Colchester would be very stout but as Mark said expensive to repair.

I would try to look at all 3 of them, check them out carefully, check out the sellers and the state of how the machines and their shops are cared for, haggle a bit to find the bottom line prices they will accept, and then make the choice. Not being able to run the machines to check them out is a deal breaker in my book. If one of them stands out in all respects while looking at them, buy it right away, before someone else gets it first. Otherwise, think it over for a while and buy one or none of them depending on how you feel about them overall. There will be more for sale, and you already have a lathe -- so stay cool and make smart decisions...

Thanks, Bob. I agree and appreciate your advice.

The older Jets like that seem to have a following around here, and owners seem to like them. I believe they were built in Taiwan, which as you probably know is usually regarded as preferable to Mainland Chinese machines. The second looks like the usual Chinese machine sold under a variety of names in different markets. Colchesters are very good machines
but as people pointed out, you DO NOT want to pay for a new set of bearings. Like Bob said, it would be good if you can look at, and run all of them. My first choice would be the Colchester, but only if you could be sure of condition which is
pretty tough to do. So, given the uncertainty of buying an older machine the Jet would be the one I would focus on
first despite the higher asking price. And, it looks like it has more tooling as well. And,of course, if they don't check out
there will always be another machine to look at. :)

Back