Adventures in 3D printing

What extruder(s) are included with the iFast? Do you have a link to the filament box and PTFE tube you are using? I'm pretty close to buying one.

Dual normal and Dual High-temp extruders are included. One filament drybox is also included but not listed on their "included" packing list.

I'm still diddling around with PTFE tubing sizes. 6mm OD fits tight if the metal sleeves is removed.

Dual normal and Dual High-temp extruders are included. One filament drybox is also included but not listed on their "included" packing list.

I'm still diddling around with PTFE tubing sizes. 6mm OD fits tight if the metal sleeves is removed.

I don’t understand what you mean about PTFE tubing and their size. Can pls elaborate perhaps with photos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sure

IMG_2535.JPG

This is 6mm OD, have to remove the metal sleeve to fit and it fits snug.

IMG_2536.JPG

Same size hole in drybox. With metal sleeve inserted. This is 5mm OD. It's a loose fit.

So riddle me this, which size push-to-fit tubbing fitting would fit in hole, with or without metal sleeve ?

New Project: Geared wheels

I am building an attachment for my Omron encoder to the spindle, which is complicated by the power draw bar air cylinder. So I cannot mount the encoder on axis, have to go sideways. Currently deciding between pulleys + belt vs geared wheels.

In the first version, I went ahead and printed a wheel out of ABS to attach to the top of the spindle, out of ABS. 50 teeth, Module 1.5mm, Pressure angle 14.5 deg, Helix angle 15 deg. The resulting wheel OD is 78mm. I printed in 20 mm thickness, using GF Gear Generator.

IMG_0346.jpg

Wanted to build a second identical wheel for the encoder, but space is tight, and just in case there is some interference, I printed an intermediate idler wheel as well, 25 teeth, same module, angles, thickness. These last two wheels were printed from Nylon-CF 12.
IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

Plan to use 680 bearings left over from a skateboard project (OD 22mm, ID 8mm, thickness 7mm).
IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

The challenge is now to calculate the precise distance between centers.

Last edited:
Your gears look great, thank you for sharing. Why not provide a lash adjustment?

Not sure how to do that; can you please show a link to an example? BTW I learned that the OC distance is easy to calculate, but a spring adjustment (which I hope the lash adjustment is) might be better.

Not sure how to do that; can you please show a link to an example? … a spring adjustment (which I hope the lash adjustment is) might be better.

How about making one encoder screw go in a slot? For sure one could go fancier with some flexure and adjusting screw in the mount housing, but I’m not sure it’s worth it for something that shouldn’t need much adjustment.

99995350f80884353a38fb663b91559f.jpg

0b2e3e2cee7126cd2b489600c95f6ac3.jpg

26966b9caffd1123b749c29151effb27.jpg

9bdd5ddf7ca463362c99263d37b47fed.jpg

77a06a08a2fa28a235c836f61d101a65.jpg

febc7e7d9628fe0b790e2c4884fde724.jpg

8a447c78992650953053b6add6825868.jpg

Have finished the encoder cassette. I made the bottom plate out of 1/8" aluminum. Have used heat inserts in the side skirt so I can open for service. The wheels spin well. I wonder how noisy it will be under regular use - -when the spindle is running at 4000 rpm, the middle wheel will do 8000 rpm. That is part of the reason I wanted the wheels enclosed. Now I have to make a bracket to attach it on top of the spindle housing.

What grease should I use on the wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I don't think I would use any grease. At 8000 RPM I would be a little surprised if anything would stick. I realize there are lubricants that would stick, but I'm not sure how much you want to spend. I have similar gears in my large RC helicopter, and I do not put anything on them.

A few more printing projects for my truck. Both are shown with 1/4"-20 heat set threaded inserts.

IMG_0614.jpg

The left one is a bracket to attach a small camera inside the front bumper to act as a trail view camera.

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

Back