Adjustable Blade Reamers Set

I too have the straight Enco reamers. They are not the best quality, but they do the job. I used to use a high quality set for rebuilding diesel starters. The bushings used to come under sized and required reaming. Check the resources forum for Enco coupons if you decide to purchase them.

Swerdk,
Do you know how to hand sharpen twist drills.
Sometimes drills, especially lower priced ones, need to be resharpened in order to get them to drill to size.
Does this make sense?
Do you have a drill gage?
If not, a posting here at HM asking if anyone has an extra for sale might be worthwhile.
I only have one, as I sent my extra to a HM member about a year ago.
Hand sharpening drills is a skill worth learning. You may already have it.

Daryl
MN

Funny- i put it on my christmas list a couple of weeks ago- lets see what the wifey does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They come in a number of different formats.
All work. It seems to me that some are easier to use that others.
I hope you were specific and requested the one attached by a string to a Cincinnati Tool and Cutter grinder! :)

Daryl
MN

I learned to hand sharpen bits at age 15 and continued to improve my technique over the next 40 years.
If the grind properly centers the flutes you can drill a tad undersized, 0.005" to 0.010", and the use the final drill size like a reamer.
Low speed and high feed.
With quality bits in good condition, superior finish and size control can be obtained.
Bits with worn or chipped flutes won't work and this technique can be hard on bits.
Be careful as the bits can try to auger in. Don't want much backlash in the tailstock and the lock could be used for drag.
Remove the bit while it's still rotating.
Still not as good as reaming but have sometimes been very surprised how nice the holes can be.
Even perfectly sharpened, drills may walk a bit so the parts to be pinned should be drilled in position.
Practice parts would prove the obtained size and quality for you to judge.
Still, a reamer is best.

Thank you Charles. That proved very useful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drills can often be warped. They will leave spiral scratches in the holes they drill or "ream". I recommend only the use of reamers for reaming for that reason. If you are lucky enough to have truly STRAIGHT drills,you may get away with using them for reaming. But,I think you will still not get the smoothness of a truly reamed hole.

I have used the Enco adjustable reamer set,and they did work fine for me. I only use them for large size holes over 1",for which I might not have non adjustable reamers.

Strangely enough,the last time I used a large one,it was to ream the larger size wooden tubes of BAG PIPES that a friend owns!:) The reamers worked fine for that.

don't buy the straight ,buy the spiral the straight chatter
If it’s a decent quality straight flute reamer you will notice that the flutes are not equally spaced about their circumference. For this reason it helps reduce or eliminate chatter. I do not have any chatter problems with reaming. When shopping for straight flute reamers, I would look for this feature…Good Luck, Dave.

Back