Adjustable Blade Reamers Set

Swerdk

Registered
Registered
Anybody have input on quality of these. Enco sells set imported- chuck /straight flute. $100

Are they worth it or should i just stick with regular chucking reamer set?

72512b0c9fa18767440f1f378616c674.jpg

I just make hobby engines and really could use some tighter tolerances

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i don't have any experience with the Enco adjustables,
but i do have a large array of both adjustable and chucking reamers.
i use the adjustable ones mainly in the field, to cut down on the number of reamers i need to take- the adjustables are nice for that.
but you give up a little convenience in the process, you'll need to adjust for every different bore .
you may wish to give up a little ease of use for having just a few adjustables to cover a large range of bore sizes, if you are not doing a lot reaming

i use the chucking reamers mostly in the shop, usually under powered application.
very convenient and accurate, but you will need a large number of them if you do a lot of different sized bores.

i wish the happiest of machining to you!

don't buy the straight ,buy the spiral the straight chatter

I've never had any problems with a straight bladed reamer chattering. I've used lots over the years, too!

Don't get me wrong, I do like the spiral fluted one's too. Cost and availability is an issue at times too.

I have the straight ones from Enco. They work fine for me.
Randy

I like the adjustable blade reamers for cleaning out holes and when assembling things where a shaft may be having troubles aligning itself up with a bushing. Especially with some of the mis-matched hole boring jobs I've done in the past.

I've got a growing collection of used ones. They end up being a mishmash of sizes.
However, also far cheaper than purchasing new.
There are lots of sizes. Adjustable covers the spectrum. Which is handy.
I prefer the simplicity of the chucking reamers.

Most importantly:
Drill the hole as absolutely close to size as you are able without being oversized.
Consider getting fractional, letter, number drills. Possibly metric as well...
Run the correct speeds, with lots of cutting fluid/oil.
And don't run them backward in the hole.
Store them carefully. Protect the edges.

Daryl
MN

Most importantly:
Drill the hole as absolutely close to size as you are able without being oversized.
Consider getting fractional, letter, number drills. Possibly metric as well...
Run the correct speeds, with lots of cutting fluid/oil.
And don't run them backward in the hole.
Store them carefully. Protect the edges.

Daryl
MN

I agree 100% with Daryl

Thank you guys I appreciate it. Today I found out first hand that a 1/2 in drill bit does not drill 1/2 inch. Grrrrrr. Hence the need for reamers. I am having a real hard time figuring out proper drill speed on a lathe. I see milling speeds but get confused. I.e. 1/2 inch has bit into 1" brass. And 5/16 drill bit into 1210 steel. - what is the drill speeds -- throw me another bone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back