Acetone

Acetone has a high vapor pressure, so it can leak out of loose openings, and enough surface tension to wick through capillaries. But it doesn't pass through the polymer bottle. They sell acetone in quart and gallon jugs made of PP plastic all over the world, including my local Lowe's. I guess you could say that light solvents are like sea lions. They like a tight seal.
yep, I keep it in a polyethylene squeeze bottle (HF bottle) with the red cap, and it doesn't leak out.. I am not sure why it doesn't. The cap is not real tight, but it doesn't evaporate that I notice.

Nail remover acetone comes in 2 'flavours' - one is buffered with lower vapour pressure solvents (and makes it a lot cheaper) which smells a lot better - a telltale sign - and 100% acetone, which smells and acts as you expect. Both are available in the same looking bottle. I find the pump bottles of xylene an acetone to bake off in about 9 months, so I only fill them about 1/3 full.
JustRite Pump Bottles/Cans typically have better seals than the Nail Polish Remover bottles. This one has a positive pressure seal so haven't noticed much if any loss:

Justrite Acetone Bottle.jpeg

When I use the squeeze siphon bottles as per @Red96 , the contents last a lot longer, but they still bake off. So those are only filled 1/3 at a time also. I haven't tried 99% IPA, but because it is agressively hydrophillic (it takes moisture out of the air aggressively) I would only use a squirt siphon bottle. If I don't I might as well buy 70%, which is what it will normalize to.
I use 91% IPA; significantly less expensive than 99% (91% is the azeotropic concentration – best you can get from ordinary distillation).

JustRite Pump Bottles/Cans typically have better seals than the Nail Polish Remover bottles. This one has a positive pressure seal so haven't noticed much if any loss:

View attachment 481520

I use 91% IPA; significantly less expensive than 99% (91% is the azeotropic concentration – best you can get from ordinary distillation).
I need to get one of those. I have a couple of these: https://www.justrite.com/plunger-di...reen-serves-as-flame-arrester-steel-red-10108 that I like a lot, but they won't hold acetone (for long).

GsT

For $60 they damned well ought to have better seals.
They are certainly not inexpensive, but it's pretty easy to spend as much, or more, trying out "cheaper" alternatives. (Ask me how I know...) It doesn't take but a few failed "tests" to make up the cost of an effective solution. As of now, **I** haven't found an effective solution, but I'm going to give Chazz' Justrite a try. And if that doesn't work, there's another Justrite to test. Both expensive, but both more likely to work than other dispenser I've seen.

GsT

For $60 they damned well ought to have better seals.
Try finding an alternative made from thick polypropylene, that doesn't knock over easily and you can hold upside down and not have a drop come out until you press the valve. There's a reason that JustRite doesn't seem to have any real competition for flammable liquid storage.

They are certainly not inexpensive, but it's pretty easy to spend as much, or more, trying out "cheaper" alternatives. (Ask me how I know...) It doesn't take but a few failed "tests" to make up the cost of an effective solution. As of now, **I** haven't found an effective solution, but I'm going to give Chazz' Justrite a try. And if that doesn't work, there's another Justrite to test. Both expensive, but both more likely to work than other dispenser I've seen.

GsT
I just went to dollar tree and got one $1.25

I just went to dollar tree and got one $1.25
You guys are driving the price up - they're $3.35 at the local DG now. I did pick a couple up to give them a try, along with a pint bottle of Acetone (also $3.35, half of what Sally Beauty wants):

20240310 Dollar General.jpeg
Wandering around I found the squeeze bottles (3/$2) and a lonely storage box for a buck. The line on the one dispenser bottle is an experiment: I removed the shipping seal covering the pump head, primed it, flipped the lid shut and marked the level – I'll see what happens as the next few weeks go by without touch the bottle in my shop (~68°F pretty much year round).

The only thing to watch for is that cheap acetone is cut with benzine, which is even *more* carcinogenic than acetone.

I shop a Sally all the time, and my liter is from there. I'll check my local DS to see the difference here.

Back