Acetone

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I needed a little acetone this morning to remove some label gum. Being too lazy to go out to the garage, I asked my wife if she had any nail polish remover. To my surprise, this is what she brought out. She got it at the local Dollar General.

20240307_100313[1].jpg

It's like a miniature one of these:

1709835244853.png

There will be one in my shop before the day is out.

To my surprise, this is what she brought out. She got it at the local Dollar General.

Yep, they are very useful.
I found those a few years ago. Now I keep one on my electronics bench for cleaning PCBs, etc.

Brian

I find WD40 to be much more effective for removing label adhesives.
Depends on the label; I find the thicker Goo Gone works best for me - brush it on the label, let it sit overnight and the label lifts off. However, like with WD-40, it leaves an oily residue which needs to be cleaned off with IPA (or Acetone).

Full strength Simple Green works well on some adhesives as well.

I started using WD40 when I was replacing labels on floppy disks. Acetone doesn't play nicely with polystyrene. I first remove as much of the label as I can to allow the WD40 to come into contact with the adhesive. Then I brush a small amount of WD40 on the remainder and I can usually wipe off the adhesive with a paper towel. As you said, a followup with IPA or acetone if I need a dry surface,

Hard to beat a Justrite, but if I can find those at the local dollar ^h^h^h^h^h^h dollar-twenty-five store I'll definitely glom onto one.

WD-40 is great, for a very few things, but acetone is much, much better for cleaning metal prior to welding, removing Dykem and removing the skudge left behind by Goo-Gone and similar "cleaners" after you've removed a label with them...

GsT

That's a polypropylene container, holds acetone just fine.
Well, in a theoretical sense. In a realistic scenario the acetone escapes via whatever valve is in use - unless your'e just sealing it in a container, in which case the can it comes in is the best bet.

GsT

Back