Acetone vs Isopropyl Alcohol

I worked at GE Evendale, one of two or three GE plants that built jet engines. There were dozens, if not 100s of de-greaser pits in the factory where a chain hoist was located over a big hole in the floor. If I remember, the opening was about 5' by 5' (with safety railing all around) and perhaps 50 feet deep. And, somewhere in the depths below, there was TCE. You chained a piece of oily/greasy/dirty metal to the hoist, lowered it into the hole, waited a few minutes, and then brought up a nice shiny clean metal part.

You could look down the hole and see a mist swirling below. Evidently TCE vapors are sufficiently heavy that they don't climb out of the pit. Almost like magic. I say almost, since there are all sorts of environmental problems with facilities that used this chemical for de-greasing. I think another one of my employers abandoned use of a pretty large building due to similar soil contamination.

When I added a mister to my PrintNC mill to blow air with a bit of liquid for cutter cooling and lubrication (Minimum Quantity Lubrication or MQL), I was warned to use Ethanol rather than IPA. The rationale is that IPA fumes, if you ingest enough can potentially poison you (like drinking wood alcohol). Ethanol, on the other hand, is denatured Ethyl alcohol. Typically, an added bitterant keeps people from drinking it. However, the bitterant won't harm you and the worst case from breathing the mist in high concentration would be inebriation. I don't know how much of risk there is either way, but I don't use IPA in the mister. But I do use it for cleaning.

I will say this much about using gasoline.
It's entire purpose is to BURN.
Yes, it will degrease too.

It brought me to a fond memory.
It was 1980. I had a 65 Lincoln Continental with suicide doors.
My friend thought it would be funny to dump a gallon of oil down the carb in the middle of the night when I was asleep. I was 16.
Of course it hydro(I guess oleo, not hydro)locked so it wouldn't even spin.
I had the great idea of taking out the plugs and spinning it. Oil went everywhere.
I put the plugs back in and they fouled immediately.
So I pulled them again and spun it. I could see shiny stuff still in the cylinders so I figured I'd flush it with gas. So, I poured a half gallon of gas down the carb and spun it. No problem. Oily gas everywhere.
Probably still had oil in the cylinders so I poured another half gallon of gas down the carb. And turned the key and oily gas went everywhere.
Hit the starter one more time, for good measure, and a fireball erupted into the sky. The neighbors said it was awesome. I was inside the car so all I saw were flames all around (side note, I had been on fire head to toe before in my life) so it took me a little bit to get the courage to exit through the flames, or be burned alive inside the car.
Luckily the car was parked on grass at the time because, stupid me, I grabbed the garden hose to put it put. Some fire spread but it wasn't too bad, On concrete I would have had a problem.
Luckily I only had to repair a few wires and hoses and the car worked again.

Anyhow, gas is for burning. Solvents have different flash and ignition points. They also have fumes that will go up, or down, or just hang. The way the burney stuff goes is where you need to watch for ignition sources.

When I added a mister to my PrintNC mill to blow air with a bit of liquid for cutter cooling and lubrication (Minimum Quantity Lubrication or MQL), I was warned to use Ethanol rather than IPA. The rationale is that IPA fumes, if you ingest enough can potentially poison you (like drinking wood alcohol). Ethanol, on the other hand, is denatured Ethyl alcohol. Typically, an added bitterant keeps people from drinking it. However, the bitterant won't harm you and the worst case from breathing the mist in high concentration would be inebriation. I don't know how much of risk there is either way, but I don't use IPA in the mister. But I do use it for cleaning.
The denaturant in the ethyl alcohol I buy is methanol, aka wood alcohol. This is a traditional formulation. I believe there are other formulations used for special circumstances.

1969 or 70 two brothers were cleaning bike chains in a pan of gasoline in their storage room attached to their parents house. Gas hot water heater was in room. Fumes ignited. Both died from their burns. Pretty much then in Arkansas everything was natural gas powered.

Ergo for many years after that water heaters were required to be on an 18 inch high stand. Now they are vapor resistant.

I had to look this up but apparently they're different things: https://www.chemicals.co.uk/blog/isopropyl-alcohol-vs-denatured-alcohol
When I worked in biochemical research, we had 3 different grades of ethanol. Ethanol 3A was denatured with methanol, ethanol 2B was denatured with benzene. They were closely monitored, you had to sign for them and account for the usage. Gold Shield (99.9999%) ethanol was readily available from chemical stores with with no monitoring. The difference? The federal tax had been paid on the pure alcohol. The feds wanted to know what happened to every ounce of the untaxed.

When I worked in biochemical research, we had 3 different grades of ethanol. Ethanol 3A was denatured with methanol, ethanol 2B was denatured with benzene. They were closely monitored, you had to sign for them and account for the usage. Gold Shield (99.9999%) ethanol was readily available from chemical stores with with no monitoring. The difference? The federal tax had been paid on the pure alcohol. The feds wanted to know what happened to every ounce of the untaxed.
There's no 'nods head ruefully' reaction on this forum so I used what there is. ;)

What are you guys cleaning? For large parts to be repainted I use the water based Purple stuff or TSP. Neither has ever blown up on me or caught me on fire even when it is right next to my propane shop heater!

To get grease out of small stuff like bearings I use a mix of Acetone, Alcohol and automatic transmission fluid. With a fair amount of good shaking the three will stay in suspension well enough to soak a bearing for a couple of days. If I am in a rush I will put the parts and Ac+Al+Atf in a plastic jar and then put the jar in the ultrasonic cleaner for 15 minutes, the grease doesn't stand a chance. The Costco big fat M&M plastic jars will hold a lot of parts and the Acetone doesn't eat through the plastic. I just store the mixture in the M&M plastic jars when I am done with it, the gunk settles to the bottom.

Last edited:
You can buy it on eBay w/o methanol.
Ethyl alcohol, aka ethanol, aka grain alcohol, could always be sold without a denaturant provided the producer pays the federal excise tax (currently $2.70 to $13.50/ proof gallon, depending on production volume). We used a lot of it in the labs that I worked in. Other denaturants than methanol can be used in its stead. A denaturant has to be capable of rendering ethanol unsuitable for consumption. Denaturants also have to be unable to be separated out as in the case of distillation. Industrial users will use alcohol with a denaturant compatible with their processes.

A fun tale. Aside from the common names for ethanol, grain alcohol and ethyl alcohol, there are some less well known names. I had a chemistry professor in college that had previously taught at the Air Force Academy. The ethyl alcohol in the lab had an excessively high evaporation rate. The lab manager changed the name on the bottles to ethanol and the evaporation rate dropped for a while but then resumed its former level. He then changed the name to methyl methanol and the evaporation rate dropped for a while longer but eventually resumed its former level. The name was then changed to methyl carbinol and the evaporation dropped to zero.

PSA Do not use absolute alcohol for drinking without dilution. It will dehydrate your throat tissues and is like a hot rasp going down, It's OK mixed with orange drink from the vending machine though. :drink:

Ethyl alcohol, aka ethanol, aka grain alcohol, could always be sold without a denaturant provided the producer pays the federal excise tax (currently $2.70 to $13.50/ proof gallon, depending on production volume). We used a lot of it in the labs that I worked in. Other denaturants than methanol can be used in its stead. A denaturant has to be capable of rendering ethanol unsuitable for consumption. Denaturants also have to be unable to be separated out as in the case of distillation. Industrial users will use alcohol with a denaturant compatible with their processes.

A fun tale. Aside from the common names for ethanol, grain alcohol and ethyl alcohol, there are some less well known names. I had a chemistry professor in college that had previously taught at the Air Force Academy. The ethyl alcohol in the lab had an excessively high evaporation rate. The lab manager changed the name on the bottles to ethanol and the evaporation rate dropped for a while but then resumed its former level. He then changed the name to methyl methanol and the evaporation rate dropped for a while longer but eventually resumed its former level. The name was then changed to methyl carbinol and the evaporation dropped to zero.

PSA Do not use absolute alcohol for drinking without dilution. It will dehydrate your throat tissues and is like a hot rasp going down, It's OK mixed with orange drink from the vending machine though. :drink:
Sounds like a man speaking from experience :laughing:

Back