About this tool grinder...

kb58

Registered
Registered
I've been looking for a proper tool grinder for months, and while Baldors come up once in a while, they're always both very far away and very expensive. While I know that they're the top of the heap for reliability and brand, I also know that tool steel doesn't care. As long as the bearings are good, is there any reason why I shouldn't consider one like this (below)? I can't tell what brand it is and have included several pictures in hopes someone recognizes it. Anyone have one? Any issues to watch for?

Thanks in advance!

1607101041553.png

1607101070692.png

1607101244599.png

Even bearings can be replaced! I'd be happy with that one. I don't know much though, never had one. I haven't seen a used 500 for less than $500.

If it is reasonably priced, I'd jump at it. I bought an import brand one 'new' about a year ago from all-industrial (though cannot find the listing!) for ~$350 that I'm reasonably happy with. The key is the wheels themselves actually. The tables are so-so on the cheaper-imports (Grizzly even imported the clone for a while), but good enough.

Even bearings can be replaced! I'd be happy with that one. I don't know much though, never had one. I haven't seen a used 500 for less than $500.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll say how much it was if I buy it :)

rockwell made great grinders, no worries as to the quality

This is the one from Sept, I was wrong it was a blador and it went for $418.
When I power it up at the preview it purrrrrred like a kitten.

1607107121339.png

Bought it for his asking price of $120 - doesn't help when another potential buyer is already there! Was only able to jump on it because I have the week off. Normally, all the good deals go to retired guys mid-week...

The green wheel is worn but usable, though that side is missing its retaining nut. The diamond wheel was in pretty poor shape, and surprisingly, also wobbles a bit and should probably be replaced. Where should I be looking for replacement wheels?

Last edited:
Back