A tricky problem to measure.

sycle1

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a tricky problem to solve.
Basically I need help.
I need a way to measure the truss rod in this neck accurately.
The hole in the end of the maple neck is 3/8" which makes for a tight working space for getting a measuring tool in there.
I have nothing that will reach deep enough into the neck to get to the rod.
Is there a tool available that could measure it?

TRUSS ROD END.JPG
Normally I would just pull the neck apart and remove the truss rod however on this one I can't for too many reasons.
Appreciate any help, information, idea's etc.

Thank you
All the best
Mick

I don't know how accurate you need to be, so this might not work for you. Measure the 3/8" hole; record that. Use pin gauges to measure from the edge of the 3/8" to the side of the rod. Record that as "A". Repeat that at 180 degrees from "A" and record that as "B". Add "A" and "B", and deduct that from the 3/8" hole's diameter.
You should repeat those steps I would guess at least 3 more times. This would also give you an idea of how centered the rod is in the 3/8" diameter. You will also find that some finesse will be necessary (hold your tongue right) to get the accuracy you need.
Good luck.

Is the rod threaded? I can't tell from the photo. If it is threaded, perhaps a variant on Just for Fun's suggestion. Most likely a nut won't fit but you could tap different sized holes in a length of rod and try threading then on. If the rod isn't threaded, then Bone Head's method should give you a fairly good value. I would make the measurements on different diameters in the event that the rod and/or the hole aren't perfectly round.

Another way would be to drill different sized holes in the end of rods and try fit to get a go/no go range. Kind of like sizing a hole using pin gages. Depending upon your availability of suitable drills, you could get fairly close to the true value. It looks like the rod diameter is in the 1/8" range so you should hav a faily good selection if number drills to use. Check the drilled holes with pin gages to verify their actual diameter.

Thank you everyone for your great suggestions I very much appreciate your help.
That is why this forum is so damn cool.
Will try the suggestions and get back to you with how it went.

How smooth is the pin?
IF the pin is smooth casting would work.
I am sure that the wood is to rough for casting, you would never get the cast out of the hole.
You could put a roll of paper, tubing around the hole in the wood and then cast the pin, the paper liner will allow the cast to pull out of the hole.

Back