A locking blade pocket knife I made

george wilson

Global Moderator
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This his a retirement gift I made for my journeyman(museum talk),Jon. It has quarter sawn LEGAL ivory scales on the handle. You can buy pre 1972 documented trophy ivory legally. It is ridiculously expensive.

The back of the knife has file work,and is the most creative part. I was able to come up with a design that I could file the name JON into. He preferred a W1 steel blade,as plain carbon steel will take a sharper edge than more sophisticated alloys. It may not hold it as long,but is fine for a knife.

This is really a hunting knife because the blade is 1/4" thick at the back. The blade is 4" long. That is as long a hunting knife as is practical for skinning,etc.. We don't hunt buffalo here!:)

The name plate is 24 karat solid gold,set into the ivory about 1/16" deep. It has his name hand engraved on it.

The checkered thumb piece is depressed to release the blade.

The blade is highly polished because if it is soon washed,a polished plain steel blade will keep from being etched by blood.

My pleasure,other than the file work,is in the exact design of the blade and handle,though they are not of a new or unique design. The exact form is carefully worked out.

Bolsters are nickel. It doesn't turn black like silver will. The knife came with a fitted holster,not shown. Jon is afraid to take it hunting because he tends to lose knives!!

look for JON on the back of the handle. The checkering on the thumb piece is so fine it doesn't show in the pictures.

DSC_0401.jpg DSC_0402_001.jpg

Very Nice looking knife George :thumbzup:
That knife appears to have many hours of work to build. I really like the look of the blade too. It looks a lot like the blade on my 112 Buck Ranger. Jon should be very impressed with it :goodjob2:

Ad I said,he's afraid to carry it! I gave him 2 commercial pocket knives. He lost one,and broke the tip of the blade off a $200.00 Puma(Puma has since gone chinese).

This one is a mantle piece rider! That's fine with me. I didn't want it to get all messed up. Jon hunts all of his own deer meat and keeps it in freezers. He doesn't like the hormones in commercial meat. He cleans them too.

Absolutely gorgeous! Must have taken you hundreds of hours...:thumbsup:

Another piece of stunning work, George!

Cheers,
John

Without exaggerating, I am pretty speechless. That is a thing of true beauty, a piece of art. Wow. You just created an heirloom!

Bernie

Back