A little embarrassed, can't read this outside mic....

All my mics are like your example except most of the read to .0001". They're what I learned on. I do own a digital caliper, but it stays in its case.
According to an engineer I worked with, I am a true Luddite.

This is obviously too easy. Someone needs to develop logarithmic scale micrometers, just to add to the challenge.

This is obviously too easy. Someone needs to develop logarithmic scale micrometers, just to add to the challenge.
While not logarithmic, this one does do 0—4" in four 1" steps:

Starrett 224AA.jpg

Maybe a 0—10" in ten steps?

LMAO! :cool: The analog logarithmic depth gauge, with memory function. Also useful for converting thread dimensions to diamete

Attachments

• Depth Gauge.png
    Depth Gauge.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 9
As a (relative) youngster in this space, I use my .0001 dial micrometers and analog torque wrenches all the time, but I've never seen one with that graduation scale before. I had to read all the way to the post on page 2 with the "Shop Theory" book pics and actually read that page to finally get it. Once I understood they were using the (to me) very bizarre and arbitrary .025 per line + add the dial in whole thousandths it finally just clicked and made sense. But frankly I totally see why the OP couldn't read this. It's not because it isn't really easy but rather because it's not intuitive based on other scales we commonly use today.

Well, this is a little embarrassing, but i need a little help reading an outside mic.

A while back I picked up a Starrett 224 outside mic kit. It's an older set, so it's definitely imperial.

But looking at the barrell, I can't seem to understand the markings.

They look like so:

View attachment 453036

I'm used to a set of horizontal lines to figure out the last digits, but this doesn't have them. What you se eis the total of the measurement markings (well, except the interchangeable anvils for different inch measurements).

How do I properly read this mic?

Apologies for the simplistic question, but I just can't seem to figure out how to read this type of dial.....:confused 3:
If you are having problems reading the Starrett, do not get a Swiss micrometer............

Attachments

• IMG_20230709_153425526.jpg
    IMG_20230709_153425526.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 23
so what's odd, is you are not realizing what the vernier is doing. it's adding another level of accuracy down to the tenth thousands of an inch.
That's all it's doing.

What we have tried explaining is it's the same reading, just not to the .0001.. but you can derive that close enough just by seeing where the .001 or one thou falls in between the marks.

Back