A little embarrassed, can't read this outside mic....

.1525 . Have you been celebrating the holiday today ? :big grin::beer bottles:
No, I haven't. I'm just not seeing it for some reason.....how to read the 0.0010 lines are just not getting through my thick skull today.

I'm guessing the 0.0001 is more or less a "best guess" on this model.....

A lot of mics don't have the tenths verniers and they really are not needed . Just split the .001 lines unless you're doing NASA work .

I have an old mic like that which I inherited from my grandfather. What helped me to figure it out was to open it up to exactly 1 inch (it should be obvious) and then close it slowly while watching the numbers scroll past. You'll notice that it takes 4 turns closing to get to .90. And if you go one more turn it will be .875. And if you open it back up less than one full turn, it will be .875 plus whatever number is aligned on the handle.

This micrometer does NOT have the vernier marks so you can get a reading of the fourth decimal place.
This micrometer only allows you to read three decimal places. Your reading is 0.025 plus a little bit. If you had a vernier marks around the barrel you could quantify the "plus a little bit" You don't have them so you have to eyeball estimate what percentage of the way from 0.025 to 0.026 the mark is actually located.

This micrometer does NOT have the vernier marks so you can get a reading of the fourth decimal place.
This micrometer only allows you to read three decimal places. Your reading is 0.025 plus a little bit. If you had a vernier marks around the barrel you could quantify the "plus a little bit" You don't have them so you have to eyeball estimate what percentage of the way from 0.025 to 0.026 the mark is actually located.
That's the piece I was missing. Doesn't read to the 0.0001 scale.....

Correct. Yours reads to 0.001 to whichever mark is closest. Tenths are purely an estimate.

Whenever we read divisions, we can always infer a fraction of the remainder. Whether using graduated cylinders or a micrometer, the level of precision is always one decimal past the division. So the barrel reads whole thousandths, and we guesstimate (even if it's to the nearest half division) the last decimal.

Verniers take the estimation out of the picture, but that's probably what you were expecting when it seemed too simple to just read the barrel, because on verniers there's another head math step to get the digit.

And I contributed without derailing your thread, must be a good day.

Has it got a scale on the back for 1/10,000 ?

I like the micrometers with the handy fractions charts on them a lot.

:)

Stu

Back