A cheap DIY power feed for mill

I like the build but, he should have kept the handle below the table top.

Looks like a solid build and certainly functional. However, I would miss the forward-reverse action of the shift lever on a traditional power feed, also the rapid return button is nice to have.

Well, if you're going to find the most expensive example to justify spending days for a partial solution, then sure, it's neat. The reality is that he could have gotten a powerfeed for not much more that he'd have spent on the motor and materials (unless he's using scrap). Making the tool to make the tool is one thing. But, using an overpriced example as the justification doesn't work.

Man, I sound cynical. I think I've watched too many videos of guys spending hours to build a bad knock-off of a Harbor Freight tool that could be bought for less than they paid in materials.

I'll agree with Shotgun, I built mine for my G8689 for less than $50.00 bucks and works really well. Also, the shifter above the table will get in the way.

I like the build but, he should have kept the handle below the table top.
Does your X-axis handwheel not protrude above the table top? Mine does, as does the one in the video. I see your point, but on his mill, I don't see it as an issue.

I do agree with the sentiment that he probably spent more to make it than he could have bought it for. But, I'm guessing he's a hobbyist like us who wanted a project and found one. When friends ask me what I do with my hobby machines, I tell them the lathe is for making parts for the mill and the mill is for making parts for the lathe. ;)

Tom

I’ve been watching this channel for a couple of years and I think he’s great. Part of what his channel is about is making things at home instead of buying. He does sometimes say In his videos that he probably could have bought the item for less than the time/parts/materials, but as a hobbyist this is what we do and that he enjoys the challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only come out ahead on "build vs buy" a couple of times...
BUT, my fun is important/valuable, AND I can end up with something that is a better fit to my needs than the commercial product!
My Magnabend was actually cheaper to build, as long as you don't factor in MY time Those hinges really stretched my machining skills!!!

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Back