A Bit Of A Tool Gloat (and A Question)

Charles Spencer

Active User
Registered
I just got a pair of Starret micrometers that I think go from 2" to 8" and 8" to 13". They have wooden handles and came in a sheet metal box with wooden hold downs.

mics 1 s.jpg

They came from Camden Forge Company tool room #2 because that is what is engraved on the standards.

camden forge 1919 s.jpg

This place apparently made marine castings. The picture above is from a 1919 book. I'd guess that they did work for the Philadelphia Navy Yard across the river. At that time they were on Mt. Ephraim St. in Camden. The only other reference I could find on them was from 1955 and said they were located in Hoboken. At some point the micrometers appear to have passed into the possession of somebody named Creager because that name is stamped on the wooden part of the handle.

I was wondering if anybody has an idea as to the age of these? I'm fairly sure that they were from some time when the Durango Kid was around:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Starrett

Oh, not to forget the gloat part: I paid a total of $23.65 including shipping for them.

OK, so that's kind of gloat worthy. What makes it really gloat worthy is where I got them - ebay. The last place you'd expect to find such a deal. The seller didn't think to mention that they were from Starret.

listing s.jpg

The box isn't wood, it's sheet metal. Maybe I should demand he rebate half my money.

Last edited:
Nice! Those might be 19th century by the look of them. If "Starrett" is only on the micrometer head, then the rest of the micrometer might be from someone else. Note how the heads are easily removed from the frames. They might also be shop made, looking at the box construction... Regardless, they are way cool!

If I was going to build my own micrometers, that's how I'd do it. Not economical to build and calibrate the mic heads or standards. Therefore, Starrett brand.

Making a good stable frame from scratch is challenging enough.

If you want to investigate provenance, place a call to Starrett. I'll bet that they have a historian who could offer an opinion.

From what I can see in the pictures, my bet is they're custom made. Not Starrett "production".

If they'll calibrate (faces of spindle and anvil are parallel), they're priceless examples of output by a skilled tool maker. Proof, they have survived in what looks like excellent condition.

At $23.65, I think the term is YOU SUCK!

I'd be proud to own them. You should upgrade to "full gloat".

Back