9x20 Power Cross-feed Started Anew. Lol

It's think tank day. LOL. The unit in the magazine shows the bevel driven gear attached to a shaft extension on the lead screw (Cross Slide). Won't work on the 9X20s. Not enough clearance. I propose a second shaft below the lead screw extension driving the lead screw with spur gears. The bevel Driven gear will also be on the lower shaft giving it plenty of clearance. This may take a while, see you later. LOL

"Billy G"

could you bolt a small housing to the top to cover the gear like so
gear-housing.jpg

or make the cover to fill the top of the block.
But then again the shaft would have to be fed through and pick up the gear so maybe not.

Yes Charles it could be done that way but I assure you it will be easier with two shafts. The spur gears only need about 18 teeth. I'm almost there.

"Billy G"

Machining to this point is done. By this point I mean until the gear set is figured out.

"Billy G"

102_1178 (750 x 498).jpg
102_1179 (750 x 498).jpg
102_1180 (750 x 498).jpg

Had a little time so I blanked the front plate and installed it. I then line bored for a .375 shaft. Tomorrow I will install the front carrier bearing for the upper shaft. Then we dimension for the lower shaft that will carry a spur gear and a bevel gear to drive the lead screw. Charles you can throw the book away from here on out. Nothing is written in stone. It will look similar but that's all.

"Billy G"

102_1181 (750 x 498).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bolts Counter Bored and shaft perfect.

"Billy G"

102_1182 (750 x 498).jpg

So far so good. One minor flaw is the large handwheel will hit. A simple extension will cure that. Auto feed is OK, plenty of room. I will mount this today and use it as is till the mechanics are finished and mounted. A small adaptor needs to be made to extend the lead screw threads. No biggie.

"Billy G"

102_1183 (750 x 498).jpg
102_1184 (750 x 498).jpg

Not being in a rush has its benefits. Locked in place and the cross slide is as smooth as it get. Now to work on the two extensions needed.

"Billy G"

102_1185 (750 x 498).jpg

When you need room you find it. That hand wheel is extended 3 inches. Now on to the cross slide extension.

"Billy G"

102_1186 (750 x 498).jpg

Keep adding extensions and you will have trouble seeing the work from where you have to stand to operate it :)

Back