9x20 Jet, any benefit changing from A2Z qctp to AXA?

I don't know about the capabilities of a Jet 9x20 - have seen one, not used it. But I have an A2Z on my 6" Atlas, and it is perfectly fine for taking cuts of all varieties, and even parting off, to a degree. I've taken 80 thou off the diameter of 6061 aluminum before with no issues. I've taken 50 off steel. Any more and it begins to exceed my safety zone and I believe the capabilities of the machine, or a combination thereof... your results may vary!

The only time I see tool deflection is during a heavier facing cut (which on my lathe is more than... ten thou or so...) However, my lathe also has worn spindle bearings, and it may be as much that as tool deflection.

The only concern I'd see is size. If the A2Z won't give you the reach you need with a 9" swing, as far as tool adjustment, perhaps the AXA would be better.

I don't know about the AXA but I have an A2Z and an 0XA which is a bit smaller than the AXA. The wedge on the 0XA is a bit easier as it self retracts and the piston on the A2Z sometimes needs to be pushed in manually but both hold well enough.

Maybe the 9X you might be having to adjust the holders too high for it? On my 7X the piston is well aligned with where most of the tool holders sit when centered. If the tool holders don't sit well over the piston, I could see it being a problem.

I think you would have to be taking some pretty heavy cuts before the difference between the steel body AXA and the aluminum body of the A2Z would make a major difference. Our lathes don't have that much power. (Unless you upgraded to a lot bigger motor.) I would look elsewhere for improving things before I spent a lot of money upgrading the toolpost. I know on my lathe the weakest point is the compound. When it cools off and I can work out in the garage, I would like to get mine set a bit better. I made a solid block to use instead of the compound and with that on, everything is much more stable.

Thanks for the info. I figured the compound was a major weak point but don't have a mill to do any upgrades. I have just about decided to get a LMS 3990 as it will fit my only remaining garage space, then I can make some changes.

Back