9x20 Jet, any benefit changing from A2Z qctp to AXA?

okent

Active User
Registered
Looking for more rigidity if possible. Don't have a mill to do any upgrades and can't find any place with bolt-on parts.
Thanks.

I would say yes but I'm not sure if you will notice a difference in rigidity right off the bat. I never liked the A2Z stuff since they are made of alumnium. When I had a mini lathe my options were an A2Z or AXA modified to fit. I choose the AXA & was glad I did at that time.

I sort of agree with DZ, but on a mini they aren't really rigid enough to tell the difference. On a larger machine they would definitely be a good investment since they are made of a more substantial material and are really stiff and quite rigid. So if it is a mini machine I would invest in some good tool blanks and get busy grinding them to the different profiles you will be using the most. Have a look at the Tubal Cain vids on You Tube if you need a really great reference and help understanding all of the angles involved. Once you have done a couple you will wonder why you ever bought presharpened junk before.

Bob

I had an A2Z post on my 7X12. It was cheap, and I kicked myself for getting it every time I used the lathe. Piston locking is not as good as wedge, and the fit of the A2Z tool holders was so loose that the holder didn't end up in the same place horizontally every time the holder was installed. I had to to have them replace the cut-off holder twice because the dovetail was so sloppy that the height adjuster didn't sit on the post securely. The post would also unlock on occasion, ruining a number of projects. I got a 100 series import (AXA clone) when I got my 10X22. It is all steel and well fitted. I am very happy with it. I particularly like that I can loosen the post mounting bolt and rotate it without having the tool holder come loose. With the A2Z, loosening the post would unlock the tool holder. Setting up the A2Z for threading was a major pain.

More rigid? The tool post is definitely more rigid than the A2Z. It won't make your 9X act like a 10 heavy or a 12, you just don't have the cast iron for that, but if you use your lathe a lot or make things to print, you'll love your AXA.

I use an AXA size Phase II piston type on my 9x20. I bought all my spare tool holders from CDCO. The primary use of that lathe is to cut small o-ring grooves, bore and re-thread -AN fittings. The setup is repeatable to +/- .001 when cutting the diameter. The carriage/cross slide has more flex than anything in the tool post. I can lose .002 on diameter just giving the cross slide a little push with a thumb.

The CDCO AXA tool holders are only $9. At that price you can get one for every tool you have. A2Z holders are more $ and not as good. Seems like a no-brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the information everyone.
I got the 9X20 to have something in my garage that will allow me to still park my vehicles inside every night.
I use the lathe about twice a week. The last project was to rework an AR15 .22lr barrel that came from the manufacturer with the bore drilled off center.
Cut it down to 4.75" and turned a new profile between centers, turned down and threaded the muzzle to 1/2X28 and profiled the breech end for the .22 adapter sleeve.
I can make the machine do what I need and my guess was that the flex I'm seeing is just inherent to the size.

I'll probably just stay with what I've got and use my buddies LeBlond for anything too big for the Jet.
I've got a Haas SL-10 for production work so I'm not having to crank out a bunch of parts on this thing. Usually one of a kind for something around the house.

Thanks again

I got the 9X20 to have something in my garage that will allow me to still park my vehicles inside every night.
Well, that sounds like a disease you need to cure. My tractor gets parked in my garage to keep my machinery company, not my cars...
I've got a Haas SL-10 for production work ...

wait, where are you parking your car again?

I don't know about the AXA but I have an A2Z and an 0XA which is a bit smaller than the AXA. The wedge on the 0XA is a bit easier as it self retracts and the piston on the A2Z sometimes needs to be pushed in manually but both hold well enough.

Maybe the 9X you might be having to adjust the holders too high for it? On my 7X the piston is well aligned with where most of the tool holders sit when centered. If the tool holders don't sit well over the piston, I could see it being a problem.

I think you would have to be taking some pretty heavy cuts before the difference between the steel body AXA and the aluminum body of the A2Z would make a major difference. Our lathes don't have that much power. (Unless you upgraded to a lot bigger motor.) I would look elsewhere for improving things before I spent a lot of money upgrading the toolpost. I know on my lathe the weakest point is the compound. When it cools off and I can work out in the garage, I would like to get mine set a bit better. I made a solid block to use instead of the compound and with that on, everything is much more stable.

Well, that sounds like a disease you need to cure. My tractor gets parked in my garage to keep my machinery company, not my cars...

wait, where are you parking your car again?

Yes, when we moved to this house I had never had a garage and swore I would park my vehicles inside every night. I grew up with a garage always full of crap and not usable so it's a mental victory for me.

I have a buddy who is a machinist and a son in tech to be a machinist. My son worked for my buddy two summers ago and he offered to get him started in the business. I bought the SL-10 as a start for him and my buddy graciously let him put the machine in his shop. Great opportunity for my son.

Back