6.5mm Creedmoor Bartlein Barrel and Impact Action

Well done sir.
Did the break work ok?
I've never seen that design. Patent? :)

Thanks Janderso. Not what I expected but I have not tried it without. Next iteration I will increase the diameter, reduce the bore and leave slightly more distance between the baffles. Trial and error!

You know when all is added up with a McMillan stock (adjustable cheek riser, sling studs, bottom rail, Picatinny adapter) the cost is about equal to the Foundation stock and you don't have to deal with tuning the inlet, bedding the action and the wait time. Micarta is interesting material and feels rock solid.

You lost me.
I’m a novice.
I do appreciate good work though.

I guess to each their own. I love my Accuracy International folding stock. The action is held by 7075 V blocks, and so it rock solid also. -- the trouble it that it is very heavy!

My entire outfit, with an 80mm scope is just under 20 lbs...

Great thread! And some serious skills shown, both machine and gun knowledge.

Following up on this thread from awhile back. The first brake did not work as planned. Too much downward force caused by too much gas being vented up. The rifle literally bounces on the bi-pod. I made a brake with a more conventional design and used a jam nut to simplify the timing. Works much better.

P1000751.resized.JPG

self_timing_brake.JPG

Nicely done.

Did you use a custom 6.5 Creedmoor reamer or just a plain SAAMI one?

Using a jam nut design like that gives you the opportunity to use the brake as a tuner. After you work up a good load it would be easy to rotate the brake 180 degrees and try another group. It may or may not help the group but it would at least show if brake position has an effect on groups. Barrel tuning is controversial. I have personally been able to move a group around the target and change its shape by tuner adjustments. But on some other rifles there was no detectable impact from tuner experiments. But when they work it is sweet.

Nicely done.

Did you use a custom 6.5 Creedmoor reamer or just a plain SAAMI one?

SAAMI reamer from PT&G. You know I tried the custom reamer route by sending three 0.223 Winchester dummy rounds to Dave Manson Reamers and requested that the reamer be ground to place the dummy round at the lands. They missed it by 0.050". Maybe I was asking too much for that small of a cartridge?

SAAMI reamer from PT&G. You know I tried the custom reamer route by sending three 0.223 Winchester dummy rounds to Dave Manson Reamers and requested that the reamer be ground to place the dummy round at the lands. They missed it by 0.050". Maybe I was asking too much for that small of a cartridge?

Thank you.

I have 4 barrels for friends to finish, all AR10 6.5 Creed. I have the PTG SAAMI to use.

If you have to do a 223 project in the future, I have one with "0" FB, 0.062, .084, 0.100, 0.140, 0.170. All with 0.253 necks, except the Wylde and the "0" fb both have 0.2558.

I will be glad to loan you one.

Last edited:
Back