5c Collets And Tool Post Grinder.

Don't know if this is the right place.to post this if not I'm sorry I am just getting back in to machining my dad.showed me a lil back when I was a.kid but I have a van Norman mill #12 good old iron but dam I can't find any collets for it in 5v and I know I know Hardings sale them but guys come on were all the lil man why in the.world would I give 120 to 175 to the big man when I can ask here the working man to see if they can mill me.a.few at a working mans price

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info! I'm going o keep them and learn to use them.

You will find that all those tools will come in handy at times. I know because I have wished I had a few of those tools a few times.

I am currently trying to straighten up my shop area so I can find things to trade for stuff I can use.

Be VERY careful you don't swap placement of drive pulleys on the Themac toolpost grinder, if you put them opposite, spindle/motor, the spindle turns at such a high rpm that the grinding wheel WILL shatter and the shrapnel WILL cause serious injury. We had a guy that did our grinding of tool parts on one of these, we made bearing seals so there was a LOT of round work. Anyhow, one day he messes up with the pulleys on the grinder with a 3" cup wheel. I was a half dozen lathes away from him and heard the Themac start up, whine at an ungawdly speed and the wheel shatter with a blast that sounded like a gunshot. Shrapnel sprayed for 30 feet. We ALWAYS stood off to the side when srarting these things up, just in case. Wheels CAN be cracked in shipping, we used to sound all our bigger wheels by lightly 'dinging' them with a wrench, if you hear a sound like a bell you were gtg. If it made a 'clunk' type noise there was a problem with the wheel and we would take a hammer to it so it never got used.

If you use the Themac, cover your bed ways with cloth or something that will pick up the grinding grit, we were grinding 60-62 Rc tool steel so the grit will EASILY score your bed ways.

Dress the wheel using a diamond in your tailstock, wheeling it in and out to face your wheel then use a Norbide stick or a mounted diamond to make relief on the face of the wheel, leaving a small flat on the wheel left by the diamond in the tailstock. You only want a little land on the wheel to do the cutting.

I would keep the 5C chuck an collets if I were you. Very handy with lathe work, couldn't image going without them. Good collets cost $$$.

If you have vintage motorcycles you will at one time or another need unobtainable vintage bolts.
The collet chuck will make production runs E-Z-P-Z.
I have been looking for a 5c collet set myself, and today did some horse trading for some, minus the horse.
For a comparison it would cost about $350 to $400 to replace all the 5c stuff with ci-com parts.
Hold on too them.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

When you start using those 5C collets you'll most likely enjoy and wounder why you didn't have and use them before. I just received 30 used Hardinge 5c collets that are darn nice for $175.00. Enjoy !!

Back