5c Collets And Tool Post Grinder.

vincent52100

Registered
Registered
Hi All. Been a while since I posted. Been busy with a couple vintage
Honda motorcycles. Was able to use my Logan 200 to make some special pieces.Anyway, am trying to get back to teaching myself. There are a couple items that I got with my lathe that I thought I might sell but figured if I did I would wish I didn't. I've attached some pics of what I have. Being new I'm not sure what they would be used for and if I should keep them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

DSC_0019.JPG DSC_0014.JPG DSC_0012.JPG DSC_0011.JPG DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0006.JPG

Vincent,
If you split things up...I would love to procure the 5C collet set. I know most members already have the collets but I really need some.
Many thanks in advance
toolroom

You have the collet chuck but I don't see a draw bar. What type of system is it? If I had what you have here I would hold on to it. As you learn you will find things you can use them for . You already paid for them.

I would not sell any tools. The hex and square collet blocks look like the only thing pictured that is not lathe related…Dave.

Ditto. Keep 'em. Collet chucks come in handy on a lathe. The items appear to be (in order):
1) Collet chuck.
2) Hex and square collet closers.
3) Collet work stop.
4) Collets.
5, 6, 7) Really nice tool post grinder.

Check Youtube (Tubalcane) for some really good videos on lathe (and other machinery) operation. There should be videos on collet chuck and grinder use.

That is a spindle mounted collet chuck. I presume you would need to get (or make) an adapter plate for mounting this to your spindle. I recently completed this same task. The picture does not show the tightening key holes. My chuck came to me (from an auction) with no chuck key - last week end I finished a couple keys (one a normal length, one a stubby which spins nicely - there being many cranks to pull the collet in). That picture of the large face collet is a soft collet that you would shim open and bore to size for that special job.

For small jobs, collets are quite nice. My experience is that a spindle mounted collet chuck is nicer than an adapter sleeve and drawbar for a lathe that does not have an extended spindle nose. My smaller lathe has the C5 taper right in the spindle and came to me with a factory drawbar - it has the spindle several inches out over the bed. With my bigger lathe (that I use the collet chuck on) I would have to hang the compound rest or tool out to keep the saddle wings from hitting the gear box.

DSCF5843.JPG DSCF5844.JPG DSCF5845.JPG DSCF5846.JPG

Back