5C collet chuck

Herb, you're going to get a lot of use out of that. I made a similar design for my Storebro Bruk (threaded spindle) lathe and I use it all the time.

I like not having the length capacity restricted by using a drawbar. An adjustable depth stop comes in handy on occasion.

Herb, you're going to get a lot of use out of that. I made a similar design for my Storebro Bruk (threaded spindle) lathe and I use it all the time.

I like not having the length capacity restricted by using a drawbar. An adjustable depth stop comes in handy on occasion.
What is a depth stop and when is it used? Examples?

What is a depth stop and when is it used? Examples?
5c collets have a thread on the inside where you can screw in a stop. The stops come in handy if you have many parts to say face to a length. After setting the length ,you can load more parts and face them to the same length. And sometimes
You can use a spring loaded stop to help eject them from the collet. If you have a lever type collet closer you can load and unload while the machine is running.

Another option for a depth stop is a spindle mount stop.

Hhttps://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/spindle-stop.67546/ere is an example of a spindle mount depth stop.

I have a CDCO 5-C collet chuck on my Clausing 12" x 24". I do the same thing as darbikrash above, have a dedicated Makita 12V driver with a 10 mm square driver for running collets in and out. Takes 20'ish turns by hand. Mine has no run out with an indicator on the tapered chuck surface (where the collet wedges closed). It's within 0.0002" run out at 3" from the chuck though that might vary with other collets (checked it with a 3/4" collet and long dowel pin).

Bruce
I have one from CDCO also. I was pleasantly surprised at how little run out it had. Definitely a good buy for the money.

What type of collet chucks do you have for 5C that fit your lathe? Photos help!

Regards, Herb

On my 15" lathe, I have both a C5, D1-4 mounted Bison collet chuck and a draw bar arrangement with a MT5->C4 adapter directly into the spindle. The direct into the spindle does not great, since the saddle wings run into the headstock gear box. The Bison chuck protrudes far enough that it is easier for the tooling to reach.

On my 11" lathe, it is designed to take collets right into the spindle (the spindle taper is for C5) and the bed/headstock design is such that the saddle wings can go further to the left than on the 15" lathe - and the collet is secured with a drawbar. The small lathe is designed for to take collets directly into spindle and it all works great.

Herb, how is your lathe configured? Will the saddle tooling go right up to the spindle? If it will, then go with the direct C5 spindle. Obviously a collet chuck will work on either lathe arrangement.

5c collets have a thread on the inside where you can screw in a stop. The stops come in handy if you have many parts to say face to a length. After setting the length ,you can load more parts and face them to the same length. And sometimes
You can use a spring loaded stop to help eject them from the collet. If you have a lever type collet closer you can load and unload while the machine is running.

Not all 5C collets have the internal thread. I have a set of Hardinge 5C collets. Those over .985 do not have internal threads.

Joe Pie has a video recently where he uses 5c depth stops. I don't believe all 5c collets have internal threads though.

Joe Pie has a video recently where he uses 5c depth stops. I don't believe all 5c collets have internal threads though.

That's true Jeff. I have several that are not internally threaded. The lathe bore on my Springfield lathe isn't big enough to run a
pipe through the lathe and grasp the outer threads so I built a draw bar that catches the inner threads. It works great for long
pieces(even short pieces) with the 5c collet chuck.

Back