5C collet chuck

Firstgear

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
What type of collet chucks do you have for 5C that fit your lathe? Photos help!

Thanks

What type of collet chucks do you have for 5C that fit your lathe? Photos help!

Regards, Herb

I have an adapted draw bar closer.

1. I made an adapter to fit my internal spindle taper to a 5C collet taper.
  2. I made an adapter to match the tail of my spindle.
  3. I lengthened the draw draw to fit.

It works great.

I considered a 5C chuck but the draw bar and a box of collets were given to me so, I decided to make them work.

On my little 8x14 I have a 5" adjustable back Lathemaster version. Unfortunately Lathemaster isn't in business anymore.

if you lathe is big enough, an adapter and draw tube like @Be_Zero_Be shows is the best option imo.

For my PM-1440GT I have a Bison Set-tru 5C chuck mounted on a D1-5 Southbend "thick" backplate. Very nice chuck but I rarely have the need to use it.

Here is what I used, great unit for the money. This particular one has D1-4 spindle connections, they make other styles.

Here it is mounted on my lathe with an aluminum collet for larger second op work. It takes normal 5C collets as well. One comment, it takes quite a few turns of the scroll drive to clamp up work in the collets, and a LOT of turns to remove/replace collets from the taper. I use a 3/8" drive cordless ratchet with a square drive socket that fits the collet chuck- this makes quick work of it. Without this, it would be a real pain..

I also bought a 8" six jaw chuck from the same company, another excellent value. Between the collet chuck and the six jaw I use nothing else for workholding.

My Logan 6560 came with a collet closer (that is the one Logan currently sells; mine is from Royal and the handle was welded back on at some point). I use it all the time - my 3- and 4-jaw chucks are gathering dust, figuratively speaking.

yhst-92110205831552_2271_16047346

I have a CDCO 5-C collet chuck on my Clausing 12" x 24". I do the same thing as darbikrash above, have a dedicated Makita 12V driver with a 10 mm square driver for running collets in and out. Takes 20'ish turns by hand. Mine has no run out with an indicator on the tapered chuck surface (where the collet wedges closed). It's within 0.0002" run out at 3" from the chuck though that might vary with other collets (checked it with a 3/4" collet and long dowel pin).

My Grizzly G0709 14"x40" has a lever style closer like thinwoodsman. I leave the collet chuck on the Clausing and a 8" set-tru 3-jaw on the Grizzly for the most part. I bounce between the two lathes depending on the job.

Bruce

I have D1-5 mounting configuration on my lathe.

My Sheldon uses a collet drawbar system similar to Be_Zero_Be. The drawbar is from a South Bend and even has the name embossed on the handle. The style that was originally sold with the machine is the closer similar to the one ThinWoodasman uses. As for the Seneca Falls machine it uses one made from a kit sold by Metal Lathe:

Back