5/8 precision chuck run out

I am not sure I would expect that level of accuracy from that particular chuck, but still should be within the +/-0.002" range would be reasonable. Most chucks are much worse. You might also check it with a 3/8" end mill. It is difficult to get below 0.001" no matter how good they are they will vary a bit depending on what they are clamping. Since they are integrated chucks there is not taper interface that could be off.

If you want a bit better precesion then you might look at their ultra high precision which is just slightly more. I have used this 5/8" chuck on another persons mill and it was very smooth and worked well.

I ordered this particular one because i wanted an integrated chuck and its advertised run out is .001"
+/- .001" which means .002" TIR.
Try a 1/4" end mill and see if it shows the same run out.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I will try a 3/8 and 1/4 end mill shafts tomorrow.

PM30-MV with same drill chuck. 1/2" drill rod at fully retracted is .0022. Fully extended is .0032. Fowler .0005 indicator on Shars magnetic base. Ran the mill for 30 seconds to warm up as it is 60 degrees in the shop.

I am not sure I would expect that level of accuracy from that particular chuck, but still should be within the +/-0.002" range would be reasonable. Most chucks are much worse. You might also check it with a 3/8" end mill. It is difficult to get below 0.001" no matter how good they are they will vary a bit depending on what they are clamping. Since they are integrated chucks there is not taper interface that could be off.

If you want a bit better precesion then you might look at their ultra high precision which is just slightly more. I have used this 5/8" chuck on another persons mill and it was very smooth and worked well.

I have the small and large ultra-high chucks for my mill, and a large for the lathe. As you say, very smooth and work very well. :)

PM30-MV with same drill chuck. 1/2" drill rod at fully retracted is .0022. Fully extended is .0032. Fowler .0005 indicator on Shars magnetic base. Ran the mill for 30 seconds to warm up as it is 60 degrees in the shop.
Waiting for it to warm up over here.

Is that correct? When a manufacturer indicates runout they don't mean TIR?
Robert

"+/- whatever" is the range the seller hopes the chuck will hit using the testing method they do not specify. Gives them wiggle room to deny a return.

Quit trying to indicate end mills. use dowel pins. Or drill rod.

Edit: Correct Typo.
Why not use end mills? I always understood endmills to be precision ground? I am thinking even if they're not since I am using the same endmill between the Chuck and a collet it should work well for a relative comparison.

Back