5/8 precision chuck run out

Cheap Thompson's shafting is an oxymoron, Dan!

the amount of feed back and comment is amazing.. thank you all.

I do have some 3/4 drill rod i could cut a length off and put in a collet to see what that TIR looks like.

Hey guys, great tips, but no need to put too much more thought in to it, I replied last week and asked if a video could be sent because he said he was measuring runout on the smooth taper O.D. and I was not quite sure what was meant (Something like that, I am going from memory) And everyone is correct that .004 is still better than most chucks, no matter what the opinion on a drill chuck is, if its not within spec it would be replaced. Driveslayer just reply to the email when you have a chance if there is still a problem and we will figure it out.

Nah, just have to get lucky and hit it at a good estate sale or auction.
Like the box of 'wire' I scored over the summer, (4) packs of Harris Safety-Silv, some flux, pack of rod and other 'junque' for $5, along with the 12" rods of Bunting 3/4" 660 plus some misc brass for $10. BS0006-13BRZ BAR
Some oddball stuff pops up at these sales, just got to have hope and hit it right.
Need to watch out for those lots of miscellany at the auctions with a ton of dust all over them.

Isn't this why it's good to center drill when using a drill chuck? You think the drill chuck has runout, certainly the drill bit has more. Running an endmill in a drill chuck can obliterate the chuck.

I throw it out all the time Mike . :grin: I'll start holding onto it from now on .

We use a lot of it . When we break down the lines we replace it with new , nothing wrong with it but it goes into the dumpster .

Maybe some should be recycled :)

Back