4x6 Bandsaw Blade Cleaner Pics

I use a wax stick lubricant for all metals on the bandsaw but none for plastics. It reduces friction and heat in the cut, improves finishes and blade life. And there is no mess to clean up or rust your saw. One stick of this stuff lasts for years in a hobby shop so its cheap, too. Sold by Castrol, DoAll, LPS and many others.

Here are some better pics of the arrangement. I modified mine to a more angular contact with the blade for aggressive chip removal. As you can see, it's a sheet metal affair that is "designed" for the user to shape to their needs. Should not be too hard to add something to the 4x6 that looks no worse.
upload_2016-1-8_17-2-40.pngupload_2016-1-8_17-3-4.png

On my 7x12 horizontal I use a water soluble coolant with great results on both steel and aluminum. The small amount of residual oil after sawing keeps the bed from having corrosion issues. Jack

Jon it may be the first pic or I'm seeing backwards but the blade teeth seem to be going the wrong direction , unless your saw runs backwards from mine.
The second pic looks ok

I think the light is hitting the bottom of the gullet just right, but it sure makes it look like the blade is backwards doesn't it?

Maybe there was a reason to have it run backwards. I flip mine over to cut PVC.

Maybe there was a reason to have it run backwards. I flip mine over to cut PVC.
Never tried that before. Maybe I should have done that when I was cutting a large hunk of rubber, ended up pulling the blade into the back side of the clamp and cut a chunk of the clamp off.
I haven't taken my blade off since april 2014 when I put it on.

Works great on soft stuff. Anything to hard to cut with a knife blade but so soft it will pull the blade in cuts well with a blade flipped. It isn't great for the blade ether way but it is far easier on the blade to cut PVC with the back of the teeth then the front. I don't know what it is about cutting soft stuff but it seems to dual a blade fast. I try to run two different blades but they seem to always get used for the wrong thing.

I just got my new ubiquitous Harbor Freight 4 x 6. For my first test cuts I brushed on a little Tap Magic thinking that would make it cut better. You guys think that is worthwhile at all? I would rather dry cuts as it seems a little less messy but I was thinking the blade may last longer?

I made this little stand and vertical plate and didn't bother at all with the factory pieces. I got the idea for the mud pan from YouTube.IMG_0646.JPG
IMG_0650.JPG

I do almost all of my cutting dry. Sometimes I use a little WD-40 on aluminum if it is really thick, but normally dry. I haven't changed my blade in 2 years, but I use an M-42 cobalt bi-metal blade. Not cheap, but they last for ever. I think HF sells one for that saw at about $22

The mud pan is a great idea, going to have to add one to mine.! :encourage: Nice stand too!

Back