#4 Wire???

Hutch

Active User
Registered
I don't know where to hook up this wire. One has said it is a neutral. If so, where does it hook up too?

ELEC2.jpgELEC1.jpg

A couple of other??

switch.png
The light blue wire? Do I run the wire from the motor straight to the negative side of the plug?
Line 1 and Line 4? Are these allocated as the positive and negative side of the motor.

I do have my switch set up like the one above.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Hutch

ELEC2.jpg ELEC1.jpg switch.png

I think the short answer is yes. The light blue wire in the drawing is the neutral. This wire is normally white from the plug in a standard US color code. The terminal in the plug should be silver, the hot side is normally gold.

So, connect the neutral directly to terminal 4 on the motor.

The wires are normally called Hot (black), Neutral (white), and Ground (green)

I agree with Jim, the light blue wire can can connect to the neutral, also the wider of the plugs blades.
I'm not sure of the F/R switch wiring though, can you cross-reference the wire numbers on the motors schematic to the colors you have drawn?

I think the short answer is yes. The light blue wire in the drawing is the neutral. This wire is normally white from the plug in a standard US color code. The terminal in the plug should be silver, the hot side is normally gold.

So, connect the neutral directly to terminal 4 on the motor.

The wires are normally called Hot (black), Neutral (white), and Ground (green)

Thank you. Much appreciated. Opened up wall socket last night. I did see the different color screws and the corresponding polarities.

I agree with Jim, the light blue wire can can connect to the neutral, also the wider of the plugs blades.
I'm not sure of the F/R switch wiring though, can you cross-reference the wire numbers on the motors schematic to the colors you have drawn?

The drawing I got is right here from the forum, under the electrical section. I can't find the link. Figures.
I do understand the light blue can be any color.

Thank you again. As you can tell electricity is not my forte but I am learning thanks to you guys and this forum.

Later on I'm going to re-wire the switch back to the original configuration. If you look at my SB lathe restoration 10K you'll see how it was wired and I did start to do that but had no idea which wire went where?
Maybe I can get help on that also. I did fire it up before I started tearing it down and it did work. Low and High. The pic is re-wired in the original configuration.

WP_20141008_009.jpg

Hutch

WP_20141008_009.jpg

OK, some thing is not right. The motor sounds loud and when flipped to reverse it trips the breaker for the garage. I have searched but cannot find anything in as so much as step by step.

If one of you gurus can take me step by step. I am not very good with this electrical thing but I know I can learn.

Hutch

Is the blue wire connected to 4 on the motor? If so, you cannot connect it to the switch. That is a short circuit and will trip the breaker. If the blue wire is connected to 4 on the motor then the other end of it can ONLY connect to the neutral of the power cord.

Patrick

Last edited:
OK, some thing is not right. The motor sounds loud and when flipped to reverse it trips the breaker for the garage. I have searched but cannot find anything in as so much as step by step.

If one of you gurus can take me step by step. I am not very good with this electrical thing but I know I can learn.

Hutch
Yes as stated above, the neurral should go directly from the plug to terminal #4 and not be connected to the switch or other wires.
Do you have a wireing schematic for the switch? its sometimes on the inside of the cover? if you can take a picture and post of it I can help you out. Otherwise can you get the name and part number of the switch?

Is the blue wire connected to 4 on the motor? If so, you cannot connect it to the switch. That is a short circuit and will trip the breaker. If the blue wire is connected to 4 on the motor then the other end of it can ONLY connect to the neutral of the power cord.

Patrick

Yes as stated above, the neurral should go directly from the plug to terminal #4 and not be connected to the switch or other wires.
Do you have a wireing schematic for the switch? its sometimes on the inside of the cover? if you can take a picture and post of it I can help you out. Otherwise can you get the name and part number of the switch?

Thank you again guys. I think I understand. There is a schematic inside the cover. By chance my brothers good friend is an electrician. He stopped by last night and said he would wire everything up. I will get a step by step tutelage. I appreciate everyone's help. I will also post with pics on the progress so it might also help others in the future.

Gotta love this forum.

Patrick

Ok all. The electrician is not an industrial so he can't figure it out. My switch is a three phase but I do have a single phase on order. Will that make a difference?
Like I said it ran fine when I first plugged it in with the old motor and simple 110 outlet. The original was high/low configuration.
Looking at my current motor....would it work for a high/low or even reverse configuration?
When I receive the drum switch, I'll post some pics and maybe we can make some progress.

Thank you,

Hutch

The wiring schematic in your first post was from my thread here:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...n-a-120V-split-phase-motor-with-a-drum-switch

It's not going to do you a whole lot of good because these motors are different, but the description in my last post might help because it describes what's going on between the switch and the motor.

Ok, you have me confused. :thinking:

What do you mean by high/low? My motor has one speed with forward and reverse. I assume the high/low on your motor is 120V/220V. What is the manufacturer/part number of the motor?

The switch doesn't care how many phases you are using, it's just a 3PDT switch with some jumpers to switch the starter leads around. The main thing is that if you are using 220V, you can't use the stock switch to safely reverse the motor because it doesn't have enough poles, assuming you have a C-H switch like mine. Anyway, for a normal 120V installation your old switch should work fine.

Also, you might want to just get the lathe running in one direction and worry about reverse later? That should be easy to accomplish, basically like wiring a light switch. As long as you have the other wires already run in the conduit, you can come back for reverse later without any difficulty. I ran my lathe for months before I felt I needed to get reverse working.

I have to ask, why did you pitch the working motor that came with the lathe? :whistle:

Back